*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835748-Gah-December
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1411600
The Good Life.
#835748 added December 9, 2014 at 9:14am
Restrictions: None
Gah, December!
I wrote this in a forum post for "Invalid Item, and then decided it was worth republishing in my blog. Mostly for the writing credit. *Bigsmile*

I'm barely keeping up with everything. When you stretch yourself to the max, inevitably, something new crops up. Yesterday, I was ready to quit all my writing projects, because everything else is more urgent. I define "urgency" by "people relying on me." Since my failure to meet writing goals only affects myself, but all my other commitments affect other people, writing falls to the bottom of the list. And before you cry "take care of yourself, too!" I have to be fair and point out that writing was at the top of the list for two straight months. I let other things go in the meantime, and now I have catching up to do.

But looking at my goals and progress against them, I'm not doing too bad. Today, I completed "Day 1: "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" by Jars of Clay for "12 Days of "Christmas" [E] and "I Write in December-January-February [E]. I have to complete a review now, but I'll do that, because the writer is relying on me. So it's urgent.

Status of my goals:

1. Editing. More than halfway there on 12/9. I'm likely to meet this one.

2. Promo. Already blew the goal out of the water. I hang out on social media, and people post things on my wall all the time, so this is like a self-completing goal anyway. I should make it bigger next month.

3. Reading. I should start giving myself credit for articles because I read those all the time. Right now, I'm sitting at 0 versus a points goal of 9,300. I do have a vacation at the end of the month, so I'm hoping to crank this one out all at once.

4. Reviewing. About halfway. Looking good.

5. Writing. Bleh. 6,700 versus a points goal of 30,000. If I fail at any goals, this is the most likely failure.

I just can't stress myself out over it. The other things going on. I always forget how busy December is:
*Bullet* I'm a church worship/music leader, and December is Advent (hello?!) - lots of music this time of the year.
*Bullet* End of the year, and we're generating music school budgets for 2015.
*Bullet* Holiday marketing at the music school, at which I have failed miserably this year.
*Bullet* Winter Recitals Dec 19, 20, 21 and Jan 3, 4.
*Bullet* I haven't even thought about Christmas shopping until someone mentioned it in scroll recently.

On top of all that, there's the usual staff meetings at work and church. I'd *like* to find a new gig, but since that only affects me, it's at the bottom of the list. Then there's all the little things, like decorating the studio, hiring another part-time receptionist, implementing the teams idea at work, cultivating relationships with clients and employees, keeping up with email, revamping the school website, learning how to use a new kind of laptop. And I took on the church website again, because I'm a suckerone of the pastors left and I'm trying to help out the other one... ain't nobody got time for that!

In years past, when I complained about how busy I was in December, I pledged to get back into writing in January. But that never happens, either. January is just as busy or busier. Which is why I need to finish my NaNo novel this month, while it's in my head. Because if I don't, it will be gone.

*deep breath*

I need a nap. Another nap.

Cheers,
Michelle

© Copyright 2014 BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ (UN: tuozzo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835748-Gah-December