*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836664-Teach-us-how-to-love-each-other-lift-us-to-the-Joy-Divine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#836664 added December 19, 2014 at 4:01pm
Restrictions: None
Teach us how to love each other, lift us to the Joy Divine
** Image ID #2014892 Unavailable **


"Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee"
by David Stillson


*Menorah*          *Peace*          *Cross1*


This is actually one of my favorite holiday songs, even though it's not really specifically about the holidays at all. They just happen to play it a lot in churches this time of year, and it's one I look forward to every year. I actually like the upbeat rock version my church plays, but I couldn't find a video or a recording to include for this challenge, so I'm instead including a version by a very talented musician that has the same general tempo to the song and remarkably plays all the instruments and does the vocals entirely by himself. *Smile*

One of the reasons it's so hard to find a good (IMO) version of this song is because a lot of people perform a version that's very slow. It's actually based on a hymn, so I think there's a tendency for people to take the song seriously and make it contemplative... which in my opinion is a mistake because it's supposed to be an uplifting song that's joyful and exciting. I think the pop/rock versions of the song do a better job of capturing the essence of the song than a traditional choir or breathy vocalist.

If this song sounds familiar, it's because the chords are based on Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" which is one of the most famous classical compositions ever (it's the final movement of Beethoven's final Symphony No. 9). And the lyrics are taken from " The Hymn of Joy ," written in 1907 by Henry van Dyke, which has been suggested as being one of the best expressions of joy in all English language hymnals. Over the years, performers have rearranged the poem, substituted some words and phrases for others, and even introduced entirely new lyrics like one David Stillson (and many other church bands) adopted, which starts the song with:

We sing in jubilation, adoration, to our joyful king
You are spinning, you are singing, zealous love over all your children.


I know it's not strictly a holiday song, but if there's a song out there that can get me into the Christmas spirit in the blink of an eye, it's this one. Or Mariah Carey. *Pthb* Casting Crowns also does a decent version of this song although they replace "Three" with "You" to give it a more modern sound. And a band called Go Fish did a pretty decent version but substitutes a lot of the lyrics for simpler ones because they wrote the song to reach an audience of younger children. Personally, I prefer the versions that are a little closer to the original hymn so van Dyke's contribution isn't totally mangled... but any rock/pop/upbeat version of this song is an improvement over the stuffy slow hymn. *Smile*



© Copyright 2014 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836664-Teach-us-how-to-love-each-other-lift-us-to-the-Joy-Divine