*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839592-Motivation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rayyna
Rated: E · Book · Other · #2012444
A blog tracking my journey as a writer.
#839592 added January 26, 2015 at 3:13pm
Restrictions: None
Motivation
Week 58 / Prompt 3 - What motivates you?

Funny story about motivation..

On Friday, Collin and I went to a book signing by Brandon Sanderson. He was super excited that Brandon was going to be in town, so of course we went. He is one of Collin's favorite authors. I have been introduced to Brandon through his finalizing the Wheel of Time series, which I thoroughly enjoyed, though had not yet gotten a chance to read any of his own fiction. When I was searching for a new series to read, Collin suggested the Mistborn series, which I fully intended to take up, but I'd gotten distracted. I had just begun reading Mistborn when this book signing came up, and I actually felt a little ashamed that I went to a signing for an author I had yet to fully appreciate his writing for. Bad me!

Anyway, Brandon's talk and Q&A session (as well as his reading) were quite fabulous. Some really good questions were asked and he gave some great answers. One question that was really funny was from a young girl who asked "Have you ever written any fanfiction?" Brandon's answer was something like, "Well, yes, some little story I'm not sure any of you have read, for the Wheel of Time." It got all of us laughing.  But anyway, I don't remember what the question was that led to the answer that stuck with me the most, but here's his answer:

"Keep writing. It doesn't matter what you write, but keep writing. Even if you throw in totally off the wall nonsense scenes.. say Ninjas... even if ninjas get thrown into a scene, it'll get your fingers working and you'll find yourself back into your work in no time."

Collin's been harping on that ever since, telling me to throw Ninjas into my work.

But that brings me back to at least one of my motivational sources.  Collin. He does his absolute best to encourage me vehemently every time I mention writing. His mother is a published author, and so he knows what it takes to get a story written. And he's super understanding. He's also great at being upbeat and encouraging at every step of the way. It is incredibly heartwarming.

NaNo did a lot to motivate me to doing this for real. It was my first NaNo and I won. And I fell in love with my book. And now, I look back at that and say - "I did it then.. I can do it now!" And, "I can't give up after all that work!" It's a great motivational factor.


In case you are wondering, I actually did use Brandon's advice this morning. Actually, last night while I was reading Mistborn (by Brandon Sanderson), I was struck with a revelation to help me fix a problem I was having with the opening of my book. It occurred to me how to add a scene that would offer a lot of hole-filling I felt I had. And what did I add?

Ninjas.


Thank you Brandon Sanderson!!

© Copyright 2015 Rayyna (UN: rayyna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rayyna has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839592-Motivation