*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841882-Day-19--On-a-Mission-for-Fish-Sticks
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2011330
This blog will highlight insights from my odd and somewhat weird life.
#841882 added February 19, 2015 at 8:32am
Restrictions: None
Day 19: On a Mission for Fish Sticks
Prompt: Write a story that includes fish sticks in some central way. Yup, that's right. Fish sticks. Frozen, fried fish sticks.





One could tell she was a young mom with lots of kids. Yes, her hair was a mess, dark circles under her eyes, blank expression, feet dragging, lounge pants, baggy sweatshirt, all attesting to the fact that she had little sleep and was functioning on auto pilot. In this store she walked past all the produce that would look inviting to most patrons. She found the peanut butter and put three large jars in her cart. She moved to the bulk foods section and grabbed the feed-an-Army size of Mayonnaise, then made a quick stop at the bakery section to pick up a couple loaves of bread. With the basics in the cart, she was now on alert to find the object where this mission led her and almost ran to the frozen food section. Marnie scanned the many selections of frozen fish sticks and started putting several different kinds in her cart.


An elderly woman was watching her with curiosity. At her age, it was in the head, out the mouth. “Honey, how many kids do you have that will eat that many fish sticks?”


“Three.” Marnie kept loading frozen fish sticks in the cart.


The gray-haired woman was surprised, “Is that all they eat?”


“These are for me.”


“You have eight boxes of frozen fish sticks in there!”


“I’m pregnant. Again. Twins. They like ‘em.”


The older woman was still curious, “What do you do with the peanut butter?”


The young mom’s eyes lit up as she explained, “Peanut butter melted on fish sticks is sooooo good. Then you smear mayo on some bread and make a sandwich with them? Heaven!”


The older woman chuckled and patted her on the shoulder in an understanding way. “I know, sweetie, I know.”


“You, too?”


“Not exactly. Mine was Braunschweiger and peanut butter on rye toast.”


Marnie’s eyes lit up again and she took off for the deli section.






© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841882-Day-19--On-a-Mission-for-Fish-Sticks