*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841968-Day-20-challenge--PASHA
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2011330
This blog will highlight insights from my odd and somewhat weird life.
#841968 added February 20, 2015 at 8:08am
Restrictions: None
Day 20 challenge: PASHA!
Day 20 Prompt for the "30-Day Blogging Challenge" : What are your thoughts on surprise parties? I’m in the process of planning two – yes, two. One is a baby shower and one is a 40th birthday bash. Have you ever had a surprise party thrown for you? Do you even like surprises? Have you ever had to throw a surprise party?





If you're not exactly feeling that prompt, you can stick with the "Funny Friday" prompt and amuse us in some way. You can always do both, if you'd like.






Hear that groan? That was me. I get that way when I hear anyone mention surprise party. I never got a surprise party. My peeps know better. Did I ever “throw” a surprise party? Technically, no. I participated in a couple, out of some warped sense of duty. It was for my boss and all I did was “chip in” for expenses and eat the food.


The clincher for no surprise parties is a story in itself and wraps well into the Funny Friday.


Many, many, many – did I say many? – years ago, I worked in a prestigious law firm. I wanted to make a good impression and got myself invited to all the fun things that the law firm was doing. One of the misfires was when Bob, the office manager, a very staid and proper man of Lutheran descent – pretty sure he was anyway – had a birthday. His friend – at least that’s the story that was going around – hired a gypsy singing telegram for him. The telegram arrived at the law office (did I mention that this is a 200+ lawyer firm with offices all over the world?) The “friend” had the foresight to invite everyone who did not have anything better to do to attend. My supervisor Nancy was invited and on her way there, grabbed me and told me to come too. Always up for a fun prank, I was in like Flynn.


The conference room could comfortably hold 20 people, but this day we had lawyers hanging out the door. Bob thought he was attending a performance review of some form and showed up with suit, tie, button down shirt – as did we all – and portfolio in hand. He had the typical response when he saw us all there, “What’s going on?” That was the cue for the least dressed person to burst in the room and do her song and dance for him. This “gypsy” really worked her veil dance as she sang and danced for him. She shook every body part she had for him without touching him.


Bob was embarrassed and furious. She tried to get us all to say “Pasha!” but one withering look from Bob silenced us all. The more brave attorneys were smiling and salivating, because she was quite pretty and scantily clad. But those of us closest to Bob were trying to hide under the table and not be seen. I think he made sure to take note of who was there. I was screwed.


Anyway, she was a valiant spirit, but even she could not get a yahoo out of staid Bob. She finally gave up, and Bob bolted out the door. The rest of us returned to our offices much like we were going to a funeral, wondering if we would have a job the next day.


And that, dear friends, is why no one is allowed to even suggest a surprise party for me or by me. EVER!


I can see I made your Friday. You are welcome.







© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841968-Day-20-challenge--PASHA