*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842284-Day-23-Challenge--Internet-Dating-Rule
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2011330
This blog will highlight insights from my odd and somewhat weird life.
#842284 added February 23, 2015 at 7:58am
Restrictions: None
Day 23 Challenge: Internet Dating Rule
Day 23 Prompt for the "30-Day Blogging Challenge" : We live in an age where you can do anything and everything on the internet. You can purchase airline tickets, buy clothing, electronics, even groceries online. There’s even online dating. What are your thoughts? Have you ever/would you ever try online dating? Do you think it’s a better way to meet people or are you skeptical or leery of it? Tell us your thoughts and/or experiences with it.








Back in the day, before the internet, there was newspaper classified ad dating. The rate of success with those has not changed with the advances of technology. You are still taking a chance and it still a huge risk. I met my husband in a bar. I am one of the 2% that met their spouse in a bar. I’m one of the 45% that has been married to the same person for 25 years or more. I’m special. I don’t do normal.


I will admit that I did try the classifieds back in the day but it was a horror freak show. Gave it a couple tries just to say I did it, but dang, that was a mess. The advantage of local classifieds is that you could actually go out and meet the person if you got along well on the phone. One was looking for a mother for his daughter and the other was a dead ringer for Moe of the Three Stooges. No, no, next!


With this internet stuff, you can get matches from all over the country – or world. I know two people who tried internet dating. One met his wife through his work, not Match.com. A friend of mine is trying the internet to meet men, but it has been one scam after the other. Only two out of 10 were for real. I had to coach her through a lot of sadness and hurt. But, she is stronger and smarter for going through it.


Putting all of this together, I admit that I have met some really great people on the internet. I say stay open and honest. Romance, however, is an in-person development. If the friendship looks to be going in that direction, I cut it off. I have my guy, I don’t need to tempt fate and screw up a good thing.


If you want to date by internet, more power to you. Just be aware of the signs. They put themselves on a two month time schedule. Most of them play to your greed. So while the wooing may be fun and awaken feelings you thought were long dead, there will come a time where they will demand money from you. If you pay it, I hope it was worth it because they will have your money and you will have a memory. So the lesson I hope to impart is this…keep it local. The long-distance internet romances should just be for fun, nothing more. You know if your mama found out, she would say: Are you nuts?!



© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842284-Day-23-Challenge--Internet-Dating-Rule