*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842894-Day-28--Picture-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2011330
This blog will highlight insights from my odd and somewhat weird life.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#842894 added February 28, 2015 at 9:45pm
Restrictions: None
Day 28: Picture Day
** Image ID #2032498 Unavailable ** Prompt: Write about the little girl centered in the photo.





This was supposed to be a special day for little Ella and her family. She was the youngest of four children, and was remarkably outspoken and opinionated for one so young. No one could make her wear a dress and one certainly could not make her wear her hair in ringlets, not even Mama’s gentle coaxing could force her to do either. Mama was quite irritated that picture day was the day that Ella asserted herself and refused to wear the store bought dress Mama had purchased just for her and much preferred to wear her brother’s hand-me-down suit.


Mama had given up trying to curl Ella hair at the last ear-splitting screech. Mama lined the children up for one last look over. The two boys were fine. Ella’s older sister looked miserable in her woolen dress, and hair pulled back, but she was at least in a dress. Ella was looking quite pleased with herself all decked out in her brother’s hand-me-down suit. Mama herded the children into the waiting carriage to go down to the photographer. It would be a long ride to the other end of town.


The photograph captured the day. The boys were smirking, Margie was sullen and uncomfortable, and Mama had to arrange her skirts to cover up Ella’s boyish attire. No one looking at this picture would be able to tell that she had two daughters and two sons. Photographs were so expensive, this one would have to do, such as it was.



© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842894-Day-28--Picture-Day