*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843315-Dont-Take-it-Personal
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#843315 added March 5, 2015 at 4:59pm
Restrictions: None
Don't Take it Personal?
Don't take it personal?

Positively, one of the stupidest phrases used.

First of all, it isn't even correct grammar which immediately makes me squirm - Don't take it personally! Personally being an adverb modifying how or in this case how not to 'take' it. Follows an action verb - all the clues are there.

Anyway, besides grammatically-challenged, the very act of versing it is going to make me take it personally. I mean, you are speaking to me about something that was said or done to me (aka a person). How should I take it?

All she said was she didn't like that color on you. Don't take it personal.

Hmmmm. . . How should I take it? As a personal offense to the color? Perhaps a verbal attack on a particular color of our blessed spectrum of shades? Umm. . . and she did add the words 'on you'. So, I basically ruin that color? That's a lot of power to have, way too much responsibility. Besides, personally I think it was a bitchy thing to say. Unless of course, I asked - which I wouldn't. Or if she was my colorist - which I can't even fathom having.

Anyway, enough of that. Am I the only one that has people in my life that I daily want to say 'Do you realize you really just said that aloud?" Well, there is one particular person that wins the prize for this in my life - I work with her, so it's not like I choose to see her everyday.

Here are a few examples:

(Upon hearing I was getting married - both my fiance' and I have been married before)

"Oh, so you are the consolation bride."

Lunchroom:

"How can you eat cheese all the time? Don't you know it will stop you up?"
(Seriously, no one has asked about my b.m.'s since my obsessive grandmother when i was about 4.)

"Were you running late this morning? I mean did you have time to assess that blouse and skirt combination?"

"Being a single mom must be sort of freeing. . . and saves money come to think of it - only 2 mouths to feed. You are so lucky."

I could go on but I'm getting the urge to punch someone and I'm the only one here so that would be somewhat counterproductive.

Bottom line: If you don't want me to take it personally - think before you speak or say something wonderful about me - I'll take that personally too.

Personally, I love to write,

Audra

© Copyright 2015 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843315-Dont-Take-it-Personal