*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843439-MORE-OPENNESS
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#843439 added March 7, 2015 at 8:59am
Restrictions: None
MORE OPENNESS
Blog City Prompt: Reading old texts like the Greek and Roman literature and works up to a century ago versus the present-day works: Which one do you think is better for the improvement of a writer's craft?
Every media source has covered this but us... Let's talk about E.L James and 50 Shades of Grey. Do you think it is erotic romance or pornography? Do you think this will encourage more openness about sex? I wasn't surprised to see the influx of copy cat books. What about you? Keep in mind, we have a variety of age levels among us.


Greek and Roman Literature is something a person reads and studies for a class at university, and never reads again. Plus it is all English translations without a sense of how the language reflected the people of that age. For a writer, there is valuable history and philosophy with a view of another booming, then failing, empire. We can see that history repeats itself.

Also to write for a contemporary audience, the language is drastically changed and evolving. A writer has to read and listen to the language of today in order to write for new readers.

As for Fifty Shades of Grey---the promotion and hype about the project is much greater and mind-numbing than the film itself. Does it create more openness? Well, Soft Porn has been produced for decades--different bodies, different faces, but once again, history repeats itself. There’s classy and there’s tacky. We get both, and the writers, producers, directors and actors usually get paid. The point of it all, whatever the shade, is for some folks to benefit with big bucks in their bank accounts.

I believe the ancient Greeks and Romans had their shades of grey togas and very similar naked bodies. Human beings are really predictable, don’t you think?

Write on! >>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.



© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843439-MORE-OPENNESS