*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/844044
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest Entry · #1973909
Stories and other items for Valentines Day, Victorian Romance and Jane Austen Writing.
#844044 added May 5, 2023 at 12:37am
Restrictions: None
Hopeful Marriage Proposal
Prompt: A picture of a handsome man with brown hair dressed up in 1800's clothes and a blonde woman sitting in a chair embroidering. They are outside of their home and are brother and sister and come from a rich family.

Rachael Langford nervously worked on her embroidery. Her brother Gabriel smiled as he watched her.

"You seem nervous, younger sister."

Rachael put down her embroidery and took a sip of her tea. "You know why. Sir Randall Rutherford wants to marry me and I want to be with him. He is talking to father right now asking for my hand. Father wants me to marry Lord Darrin Kimberlin. Lord Kimberlin is nice but something about him is strange. What, I don't know. Oh brother Dear, I want father to say yes to Randall. I love him. Yes, I know, a lady isn't supposed to speak of such things."

"Rachael, Dear. Love isn't a crime. I am marrying Lady Marlena Stephenson because I love her. Have you told father who you want to marry?"

"Yes, I have. He reminded me that he is head of the household and I will marry who he chooses. Just because he and mother didn't love each other, well, why should I have to suffer? Sometimes, I wish I was poor."

"Now, sister Dear. They are both good men. Father will chose the right one. You will be happy, I promise."

"Easy for you to say. Lucky for you, you and Lady Marlena loved each other since you were kids. Women should have rights."

"You are not in prison. You go to balls, have nice things and father and mother love you."

"I will be in prison if I have to marry Lord Kimberlin. I pray father will see reason." Rachael shed a tear. Gabriel kissed his sister's cheek.

Just then the Noble Wesley Langford came outside. He looked at Gabriel and Rachael. He cleared his throat. "I have an announcement to make. Sir Randall Rutherford and Lord Darrin Kimberlin have both asked for your hand in marriage. I have chosen Sir Randall Rutherford as your future husband. He will be out promptly to ask you himself." Noble Langford left.

Gabriel picked up his sister and swung her around and kissed her cheek. "Little sister, you got your wish. I am very happy for you. I love you, you know."

Gabriel put Rachael down. "I love you, too. Promise me we will still be close after we have married and have different lives."

Gabriel smiled. "Always, little sister. We will always be siblings and friends." He kissed Rachael's hand.

Sir Randall Rutherford came out unto the terrace. Gabriel shook Randall's hand and excused himself.

Rachael ran into Randall's arms. "Oh, Randall, father said yes."

"I am so happy. I love you. Will you marry me, Miss Rachael Langford? "

"Yes, I will marry you. I love you, too. What ever you said to father, he thinks you are the right man." Randall and Rachael kissed.

They were going to be happy. Truth be told, Noble Wesley Langford had just found out that morning that Lord Darrin Kimberlin was his son from a affair he had with Darrin's mother during his first two years of marriage. Darrin's mother had told him the news this morning behind closed doors. Rachael would never know the truth. Noble Wesley Langford couldn't have his daughter marrying his son and her brother. A skeleton in the closet that would stay there forever.

** Image ID #2033835 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2023 Princess Megan Rose 22 Years (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose 22 Years has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/844044