*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/844486-Day-19--Warning-This-is-a-Soapbox-Rant
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2032569
Maxed out on previous blog. As long as I am learning, my newbie is still showing
#844486 added March 19, 2015 at 8:52am
Restrictions: None
Day 19: Warning, This is a Soapbox Rant
Opinion Thursday!





This week a high school in Western New York voted to no longer use the term "Redskins" as their mascot, because it is considered racially insensitive to Native Americans. There were strong arguments from both sides...some see the name as maintaining tradition and local pride, while others believe using an offensive name sends the wrong message to those who represent the school district. How responsible is a school in regards to establishing and maintaining a healthy relationship within its community?






In this particular scenario, maintaining community relations does not matter. The “R” name is a racial slur, much like the “N” word would be to an African American. The name came about because there was a bounty on the number of scalps people hunters could bring in – of course this was back in the 1800s when American Indians were not considered human. I know the history. I see the hurt in the eyes of my American Indian friends when that term is used freely and recklessly. Stop using it. Just stop. As an example, we use “The Washington DC Football Team”. It is easy to substitute the school name and athletic event that applies when talking about it. We have started the transition. Please join the transition. Soon all the owners and schools will get the hint and make the transition themselves.


So as to other issues, if the schools want attendance at activities or sporting events, it would be foolhardy not to maintain healthy community relations. They would screw up fundraisers if they did not. They would have a lot of homeschooling if they did not. They would have a lot of people out of work if they did not.


That’s all. I shall get off my soapbox now.



© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/844486-Day-19--Warning-This-is-a-Soapbox-Rant