*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845629-Thursday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#845629 added April 2, 2015 at 6:36pm
Restrictions: None
Thursday
I guess that's just how the tumbleweed tumbles. Another setback at work, and more time burned up with no positive results. I don't understand it at all, and it's getting mighty frustrating. The first two people we had training just didn't want to work I reckon, or something similar. they worked one day and quit.

Then I talked to another person, and he sounded pretty positive. But, having a disability, I wasn't sure how it would work out; only one way to find out, give him a chance. I knew there could be extra work involved as a result of his handicap, but that's minor and something we can overcome. The big thing is if he is able to perform his duties or not. So, today we started him training and it just did not go well at all.

Nothing to do with the person, really. He had a great attitude and gave it a good try, but we ran into some unforeseen problems. The first was his inability to grasp the paperwork tightly and hold on to it in the strong wind. This one we can find a solution too, but it will have to be something the store that we service will accept. But, it's not a huge problem, and one we should be able to overcome.

Another problem is the overhead doors. They are big doors, heavy, and difficult to lift up and shove hard enough to fully open. He may have difficulties with them, and closing them is even harder. If he only opens or closes once in a while, someone can assist him with the doors, but if it was his regular shift, it could pose a problem. We did not get far enough today to even give this much thought, and if need be, we could schedule him for afternoons where this will not be a problem.

So far, so good. But the next problem is a bit more serious and more difficult to overcome. There is no way to work around it, we either find a solution, or he cannot do the job. And, it's nothing to even do with his disability, to the best of my knowledge. We use tablets at work, and everything is done with a touch screen. There are no other options, either use the tablet or don't do the job. And, he cannot use the tablets.

I don't understand why he can't, but they just don't work for him. There have been a few guests that come through who have the same problem, they cannot get the touch screen to acknowledge their touch. this is the case we have with our guard in training. We are looking for a solution, and I hope we find one that the store will accept, but from my research, it's looking kind of slim. The only option I see is a stylus, and we have one. But, it also does not work when he uses it. It does for others, but will not for him.

We had to cut his training short today as a result, and if we cannot find a solution, he will not get to finish training. One of those situations that is so unfair and something there was no way to see coming. For now, there are a few things to look into, but if it hampers his work performance, he's not going to get the job. There isn't anything that can be done about that, he either can or cannot do the job, it's that simple.

But to be unable to do the job because of something as lame as this, that's the clincher. If his disability was the problem and prevented him from doing the job, sure, it's not fair, but it's something that can be accepted. But this has nothing to do with his disability, it's something that some people seem to be cursed with. Once in a while we have a guest who just can't get the tablet to sign, and it's the same thing.

So, for now, his training is on hold. But, because of the nature of our work, I cannot hold off hiring someone who can do the job. We are short handed and need someone immediately, and that too, is unfortunate. We are going to try and hold off a little while, but I will have to call and set up another interview with another applicant. That will be next week, so I'm hoping a solution is found soon. We do have two positions open, and that also will help, but it will only buy us a limited amount of time. And, if we cannot find a solution that is feasible, there isn't anything we can do.

Here's a person who would do the job well, likely stick around for quite a while, and make a great addition to our team, but only if we can overcome this issue with the tablets. I will stay positive, he has some good people in his corner, and if there is a way around this, they will find it. I just hope it's soon enough he can remember his training and still pass the test.

© Copyright 2015 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845629-Thursday