*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848264-On-WritingAgain
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#848264 added April 28, 2015 at 12:57pm
Restrictions: None
On Writing...Again
Prompt: Ann Patchett says, “I never learned how to take the beautiful thing in my imagination and put it on paper without feeling I killed it along the way. I did, however, learn how to weather the death, and I learned how to forgive myself for it.” Do you agree with her or is the process different for you?

------------

First, let me just say that I forgive myself for my entire portfolio and whatever else lurks outside of it that came out of my pen.

As to taking a beautiful thing from imagination, that has never happened to me because nothing in its entirety forms in my imagination, ever, before I write it. If it did, I would probably not write it, for lacking the surprise-for-myself factor.

My modus operandi is to take a flicker of an idea or a snippet of something or other and to develop it as I write it. As to messing up the whole thing, yeah, I can relate to that.

Anne Patchett must be a very lucky writer to be able to imagine an entire beautiful thing before setting the pen on paper or placing her fingers on the keyboard. It may well be that I don’t have such good vision to start with. I know about the killing at the end but not the beautiful whole in the beginning.

I think any writer should be, and usually is, able to write something on any given idea, prompt, or imagined concept. How good it may turn out can be up for discussion. I also think, if we writers are aiming at doing the best we can do, what we choose to write about is usually far more important than any decision we make as to how to write it. This doesn’t mean, however, that we should not try untrodden paths since we never know what we can encounter on the way.

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848264-On-WritingAgain