*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848845-TOO-MUCH-HEARTBREAK
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#848845 added May 5, 2015 at 5:22pm
Restrictions: None
TOO MUCH HEARTBREAK
Blog City Prompt: In his book, titled Consolations, David Whyte says, “Heartbreak is how we mature.” What does heartbreak mean to you? Do you agree with the author that heartbreak is necessary for us to mature?



It means overwhelming distress, sorrow or grief. I believe that people who are not exposed to death and  dying are more prone to extreme heartbreak if they suddenly lose a loved one. The children of Afghanistan, Iraq, and Palestine learn at a very young age that survival is more important than any distress. Their young faces reflect a deep knowing and understanding about death and what it means. If that is maturing, it certainly happens.

I see children, even here in Belize, who work for their family. Seven-eight years old, they come on the busses before they leave, to sell trinkets, food, drinks. They handle money like adults and quickly size up a potential target. If that is maturing, it certainly happens.

When adults lose a child, they are heartbroken. But that has little to do with maturing. It’s just a deeper form of sorrow. The loss is never forgotten and most times the person is hardened. Some become withdrawn.

If such a terrible state of emotion could be avoided, I believe we would have a gentler, kinder world.

Being brokenhearted because your girlfriend or boyfriend dumped you does not compare, but it will make you a bit wiser about relationships.

Also, I see the consumption of alcohol and drugs as enhancers of heartbroken behavior and barriers to any progress towards maturity.

The heartbreak level of our world is way too high. Think about that!

Peace...>>>iggy
*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small


© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848845-TOO-MUCH-HEARTBREAK