*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849038-Seasons-and-Life
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#849038 added May 8, 2015 at 5:23pm
Restrictions: None
Seasons and Life
Prompt: Ann Bradstreet said, "if we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant." Would you agree with that statement? Do we need to have the unhappy side of something to fully experience its happier side? Why or Why Not?

============

Where I live winters are the welcome cool in contrast to the almost year-round hot weather. On the other hand, where winters are harsh, spring can be godsend. This year, northeast experienced some very harsh weather. I can understand how the people who live there would appreciate the spring with the snow all melted away and buds and flowers opening everywhere. The same excitement of nature shows in folks who diligently start saplings, and in the name of spring cleaning, scrub, clean, and clear their surroundings from unwanted junk

Years ago, I studied art. While doing any kind of drawing or painting, any one of teachers stressed on one common tip: light against dark, but not to the degree that the extremes give the painting the feel of a poster; gray tones in between should be used deftly as well. I believe the same principle of contrast applies to all areas of life, but I wonder if the light against dark principle does apply to how we feel inside.

When something better happens after an event I consider negative, I can see me feeling good about things, especially when those things are outside of me. Yet, internally, I think I can look at the winter of life and enjoy its snow scenes and children making snowmen, too. Then spring is another chapter, greener, more colorful, more hopeful since Mother Nature seems to be awakening.

I can’t talk for everyone else, but for me, all facets of life shine in different ways, and from everything that happens, there is something to be learned; however, I don’t think it is absolutely necessary to have negative experiences to fully enjoy the positives. In some instances, an overly negative experience can scar a person for life and get in the way of his or her living fully, but a bit of contrast--just enough to show the light and dark to him or her--can be helpful.


© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849038-Seasons-and-Life