*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849173-More-than-Bilingual-Milk-Run
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2041226
Yet another superhero tale, but it's original, ha.
#849173 added May 9, 2015 at 11:38pm
Restrictions: None
More than Bilingual; Milk Run
         “Whoa... this is freaky,” I say as I set Cuddles down. “Can you... understand me?”
         “Of course! Wait, can you?” she replies.
         “Y-Yes, and that's what's scaring me a bit. I mean, I appreciate the fact that now we have direct communication, it's awesome, but how?”
         “That will be your own doing, Matthew,” I hear. Lady Marell comes here and picks up Cuddles, making me slightly worry, like any pet owner would. “It's a slight ability Asteinierans have.”
         “'Ability'?” I ask. “What do you mean?”
         “In all candidness, Asteiniera is populated by many species, including what's known as anthropomorphic humanoids.” Anthros are real!? “This ability has been made so that species who are very connected will understand each other. Just like you and this feline here.”
         “Oh. So, she can talk to anyone now?”
         “Well, somewhat. They will understand her actions, if they try, but not directly communicate. That only applies to you so far.”
         “Well, how about that? So, Cuddles, you wander around. You have any idea where my remote is?” Her eyes dart to the left for a split second.
         “I haven't a clue,” she replies.

Cuddles: ((Sigh) I don't have the heart to tell him that I watch game shows when he's not around, which is what kinda annoys him since he needs to get up. Hehe, (Whisper) it's under the bed in a space only I can crawl through.)

         “Hmm. Oh, well. Shall we continue, Lady Marell?” She put Cuddles down gently.
         “Indeed, Matthew,” Marell replies. “Now, to accommodate the distance, I've noticed a skyscraper nearby. Your goal is to come there and back, the same way as the first trial.”
         “You never told me you would put barriers,” I say.
         “Oh, that was not my doing. Phil is your strategic teacher, is he not?” Oh, okay.
         “Alright then. Bring it.” I go into a running start, completely forgetting to calibrate.
         (3rd) “Meow? (Will he make it?)”
         “Even I am not sure, little one,” Marell answers. She picks her up. “Now I can see why you were named as such; you are most fun to cuddle with.” Much print came afterward.
         (Matt) Only half a mile done. In I think... wait, what!? I didn't clock it!
         “Oh, no. I hope I come close.”
         Dodging the barriers Phil made, some harder than others at the increased speed I'm doing, I see the halfway mark, on the skyscraper, which I hope I can-- “Yah!”
         I'm thinking that I inverted gravity because I'm running up the building with no problem whatsoever. “(Repeated grunts with every step) Hyah!” That one final step got me to the top base, where Phil was waiting at the spire.
         “What took you so long?” he asks.
         “Wait, so my timing isn’t..?”
         “I suggest you stop wasting it and hurry up.”
         Didn't have a clue what that meant, but nonetheless, I jump off, wondering why no one is even flinching. Either way, “Whoo-hoo!”
         Falling from these heights is so exhilarating. It's a good thing the building extends when it hits ground because in not sure if I would've survived all the way. And I may have scared a few people because I was basically just a blur, maybe 75 mph.
         “(Sniff) Is something burning?” I stop atop a tree and look around. The training can wait, fire trucks at headed west, kinda where I came from.
         Running normally to where the ruckus is, I realize that there's a fire. An average apartment building which fighters are struggling to put out.
         Most of whom lived there are out. But I've been here at least once or twice a week, to help a family elder friend, but she long moved out. Someone is missing. I can just feel it... somehow.
         “Is everyone out of there!?”
         “I think so, but there's two trapped in the fourth floor! The structural integrity of this building is failing! We won't be able to save them!”
         “Not unless I have something to say about that!” I run in.
         “Kid! Wait! (Distant) Kid!”
         I wish I listened, but I can't stand there and wait for disaster.
         I look around for the stairs, which are burning out. Every step I take results in tiles breaking. As soon as I reached the third, the steps nearly crumbled when it got to the middle. Not daring to take another step, I look around and see that the rail guards were still miraculously intact.
         “Screw it!” Grabbing it, somewhat scorching my hands, I jump off and reach the fourth floor. Gasping, I crouch down and breathe what I can before shouting out.
         “Is there anyone there!?” Nothing but roaring flames. Then a yelp. “Can you hear me!? Where are you!?”
         “In here!” I hear something behind a few doors. Since they're weak anyway...
         “Hyah!” A roundhouse kick knocked it down and I see an inferno of an apartment. “Are you in here?”
         “In the closet!” I run over and open the door. A father and daughter, covered in moist towels crouching down.
         “Wait, you're not fire department.”
         “Nope, just coincidental. Hand her to me.”
         He does as I say and hands me his daughter, who I think is only 7. I nod to the father and we start heading out.
         “How are we getting out of here?” he asks. I look at the stairs and was about to suggest it, but they soon crumpled. I heard some rumbling somewhere and looked up. Shocked, I stood still until the father pushed me and got knocked out.
         “Daddy!?” the girl exclaimed. Well, if I am supposedly a powered human…
         I bend down and sling him over my shoulder. He’s only halfway conscious.
         “What... what happened?”
         “An insane plan that might end disastrous; hold on!” At the end of the hallway, I see a window, still intact; the roof ladder, maybe a helicopter will see us; the elevator, conveniently open...nnnever mind, the thing just fell. Looks like only one thing left to do... they’re not gonna like it.
         Picking up speed, I brace for impact as soon as the glass is broken. Time seemed to slow down for some reason. Give or take 200 extra pounds will probably hurt. I closed my eyes, and waited. Even the shocked crowd looked a bit slow. Then something flashed. It let my eyes open and gave me more confidence somehow. “Hah!” (Crash!)
         The crash sent dust, gravel, and debris everywhere. It covered us in a layer of dirt, which really stung my burns. What’s that light up there... Wings..? Fairy? Oh, no!
         I gently let down my saved ones and run back, a blur that removed the dust. I have no idea how much time I had left, but safe bet, less than a minute and 6 miles. Lord only knows how fast that was.
         After 30 seconds, I reach the woodside and see lights. Tripping on a rock, I fall forward, flipping out of control, jumping over a rock, and eventually sliding into a face plant. I stayed there for a few seconds before getting up and spitting the dirt.
         “So how was that?” I ask realizing she's here. She points to the clock.
         Huh...


RaNd0Mk1D8o3I
© Copyright 2015 RaNd0Mk1D8o3I (UN: rand0mk1d8o3i at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RaNd0Mk1D8o3I has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849173-More-than-Bilingual-Milk-Run