*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849172-The-Gardens-The-Power-of-Speed
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2041226
Yet another superhero tale, but it's original, ha.
#849172 added May 9, 2015 at 11:38pm
Restrictions: None
The Gardens; The Power of Speed
         “So, how would this work exactly?” I ask. “In the case that people come down here, how would we hide it?”
         “Ah, yes,” Marell says, “It nearly slipped my mind. Follow me inside.” She disappears.
         “'Inside'? What...” The fairies were flying up and going inside the tree house. That's funny. I don't remember putting those black curtains.
         “If you want to not have the Earth destroyed, you might as well get inside,” Maybelle said, grabbing my hand. She then fluttered her wings and brought us both up.
         “Whoa..!” I was, for lack of words, amazed that she could lift me! As soon as I got up to the platform, I was still in an expression of shock. I was soon thrown out of it by the sight of the black curtains. Again, I never put them there.
         Maybelle motions for me to get inside. I had to oblige. After all, it was for my own good. And as soon as I get inside, my amazement increased a hundredfold.
         The internal treehouse part was still here, but it extended outwards now as a wide open field now takes place. To the left stands a cliff, tall and sturdy, which eventually rounds even more to the left, leading straight to the woods. The field downgrades slowly to a lake maybe 200 feet down. To the right are thick woods that have a trail starting from here and ends who knows where, but I think I see huts hanging from the trees. Irony.
         “Whoa... How..?”
         “With Spirituality, young Matthew,” Lady Marell answers. “Welcome to the Gardens. To further hide ourselves, I've made it so we can train you in all possible manners.”
         Well! “Will it insult you that I so can't believe this is actually happening?”
         “In time, you will understand. Now, to resume what I had interrupted, Maybelle, if you please.”
         She nods. With a few lights surrounding her hands, a small tremor passed as a rounded rectangular stone block rose up, by I think 15 ft wide and 20 in length. “Step into the arena. I want to see what I have to work with.”
         I do what she does with renewed confidence. “(Sigh.) I'm ready.” To get my butt kicked again. While I do have some combat experience, it doesn't match them. I think.
         “I hope so.” I see her flying again, getting ready for another roundhouse. Instinct taking over, I side step, grab her foot and throw her to the side, hitting a wall which I realize looks like the stage barrier. So... a realistic video game?
         Standing up, “Not bad, admittedly, it was a bit cliché, but let's see if you can really keep up.”
         I bring up a stance. “I'll try.”
         Maybelle regains her composure and lunges at me, using little effort to attack me. I was luckily fast enough to avoid some of her punches and kicks, but I got to slow and didn't see her back kick and it the me to the wall, with the same effect as her roundhouse not three minutes ago.
         “Well, you held on longer than I thought,so, I guess this is good.” She walks over to help me up. I take it and... the pain... slowly goes away. This is getting way too complicated.
         “Seeing as agility is what you seem to lack, then it is decided,” Marell states. “Today, you will learn on harnessing that statistic.” Speed?
         “And how will I do that?” I ask.
         “By running of course. Since the
Gardens are too small, I suggest going outside just this one for this.”
         5 minutes later, I'm at the ground getting ready. “So, a mile forth and back here in under 2 minutes?”
         “Precisely, Matthew, once you reach Vanessa, start heading here.”
         Synchronizing my watch timer with theirs... which is floating in mid air, I get ready. “Now!”
         With a goal set in mind, I run really fast just like before, 20 MPH. My subconscious running pose for some reason is leaning forward with my arms sticking out back, with my thumb, middle and forefinger pointing out. Aerodynamics, yo. Nah, but still, it's subconscious.
         And I think they tried to make this harder because I see barriers of story's leading me into other streets. I think it's modified because I can't see other things being blocked by it. “No fair.”
         I quickly turn left and right accordingly to the midpoint half a mile, from the main road, later. I meet up with Vanessa, who's also around my height, maybe two or 3 inches shorter. “You best hurry up!” 30 seconds!? Whoa!
         I think that shock made my speed skyrocket because everything is a faster blur. Next thing I know, I'm back at my area with 7 seconds left. Is that good?
         “Impressive, Matthew, but you will have to do better than that.” How better?
         “Meaning..?”
         “Your new trial will be 7 miles, in 5 minutes. If you can accomplish that, then we can really start training.”
         “Alright, just give me a few minutes to rest.” I wasn't prepared for this. Ha, who would be?
         “As you wish.” I stretch my legs a bit and just then I see Cuddles sitting nearby.
         “Oh... hey, girl,” I say, having her walk to me with a slight scowl. “Look, I know you're mad at me, and its understandable, but even I didn't know about this.” I confide my every secrets to this cat.
         When I saw her at the adoption center, she was... in a word, depressed. Cuddles was curled up, secluded from most other animals. When I came in and see her, I felt somewhat pity, since her background is tragic, but then I decided on taking her home and she quickly warmed up to me.
         I told her things I couldn't even tell my best friend. And now that this whole Majeylin thing came...
         Wait, back to right now. She turned around and I could've sworn I heard a “hmph”, one much too clear for a cat.
         “Aw, come on, don't be that way with me,” I say, hoping to get her back. This rarely happens so...
         Cuddles' head raised up, giving me the hint that she's ignoring me. I pick her up and start scratching behind her ears, earning a purr. “Who's my best friend?” Animal wise, that is.
         “M... meow..?”
         “Come on. Who's my best friend?”
         “Me-ow?”
         “You know the answer; say it!”
         “Me!” Cuddles came up and started rubbing her head against my face, making me chuckle at this scene. “That's right. You're my best friend.”
         “I'm your best friend!” Okay, that finally got me to my senses.
         I grab the cat and bring her to the front. I start eyeing her to see if she really said that. “What is it?”
         “Did you just... talk..?”


RaNd0Mk1D8o3I
© Copyright 2015 RaNd0Mk1D8o3I (UN: rand0mk1d8o3i at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RaNd0Mk1D8o3I has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849172-The-Gardens-The-Power-of-Speed