*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/850809-One-More-Chance
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2041226
Yet another superhero tale, but it's original, ha.
#850809 added June 17, 2015 at 9:47pm
Restrictions: None
One More Chance...
         Maybelle and Vanessa vigorously force us through so many training regimens and Phil is driving us crazy trying to memorize the tactics he gave us. Doing this isn't bad enough.
         After about 5 hours of getting better and better, I think we got it. To simulate some things Retnil can do, Maybelle uses something called Elemental Assist. It's basically a way to use the other stuff elements can do but in a weakened state. So basically she threw rocks, trees, and other plants, and made an Earthquake Frenzy, as it is named.
         To top it off, Maybelle also committed a Nature Beam. I dodged it once, had to push Judith out the way, and even counterattacked with a Strike. The problem was that it was twice my strength and it nearly made my counter fail.
         She dissipated the move before anything else happened. However, it took a lot of effort since they came without warning.
         “You're progressing further than I give you credit for. You're nearly there, guys. Just give it a bit more and you can beat Retnil and make him come to his senses.”
         “'Come to his senses'? I thought he was evil?”
         “True, but only just. Either he really is truly evil or possessed.”
         “Possessed?”
         “It was one of the methods used to lure others into the dark side,” I heard. I look around and see that she's leaving in a column that is still relatively intact. Once we acknowledge her, she walk over to the center, where we were in the arena.
         “Lady Marell, what do you mean?”
         “(Sigh) Not everything was simple.” (Flashback to a war zone in Asteiniera, an open bloodied field with red skies. “Djinn was relentless. He would never give up, no matter what we countered with. He would give captured victims a chance: join them, or... fall.” (Stab) (Flashback over)
         “Retnil was much too young to defend himself. The only reason he alive right now is because of Reverse Attribute. Mistaken for his father, he thought later on that the dark side was natural. Eventually, he asked what really happened.
         “Lies were all that were told, how your family abandoned him, how he was left for dead. Now...”
         I understood everything. I have to stop Retnil by every means possible.
         The silence was tense. It was eventually broken by the music that was slowly in crescendo... and somewhat rallentando. Yoshi came here, still as if in a sugar rush.
         “Yoshi... is that still not wearing off?”
         “Yoshi! (I can't stop it!)” The music stopped and he crashed. So, that is a sugar rush?
         All I know it that there's a trail of eggs in his color, each at least 5 inches apart. I grab one and check its statistics. Melon sized, no heavier than an actual egg, seam in a uniform crack, contains a few quarters.
         The trail ended here, but started not 10 feet in the opposite direction. The rush took about 5 hours. He traveled at least 20. So if my math is correct, there approximately 253,440 eggs. Poor Yoshi.
         “Man, he weighs a ton!” I exclaim trying to carry him. The others help me out, except Marell of course.
         Seeing that moving him also caused the eggs to move, I try something. Moving here and there, they follow the trail perfectly. Hmm... maybe this can be used to our advantage.
         “Well, enough training for now. Who wants tea?” Maybelle is great a slinging teas... amd is very sensitive about it. I don't blame her. Only problem is that they have weird names. Like Yellow Jade, Amethyst Lilac, or Diamond Rose. Then again, normal is boring.

Sunday, 6/30. I'm at the roof of my house looking at the sunrise. I've been training myself to get up early and it's worth it for seeing this every day. The morning dew, the flora blooming, the sun reaching over the horizon. It was great.
         Judith comes up and just stares at me. Yeah, my senses got that better. But it only increased the burden.
         “You're seeing this, Judith?” She eventually comes over and sits next to me.
         Putting a hand on my shoulder, “You can do this, Matt. I believe in you.”
         I was rather touched by that. “Thanks, Judith.”
         We both look at the sunrise for a few more minutes before heading down. Feeling something really faint, I look up and see something small. It's too small to be seen, but it otherwise looks like the size of Polaris.
         “He's near...” We had a break for training today and I didn't really have any plans. My only thought was what was Mom serving today. She makes random breakfasts every Sunday.

Monday, 7/1, our judgement day. The object up there is getting slightly bigger and I can see that the trajectory will make it land in the city limits. Well, really, Stephanie figured that out.
         Grabbing my sword, bow, and arrows, I meet up with Judith and Yoshi in the front. Cuddles was also there.
         “You ready?”
         “I'm not sure...”
         “Yoshi. (Not in the least.)”
         “Are you gonna be okay, Matt?” Cuddles asks, showing off her puppy eyes, irony, and hugging my leg. I pick her up and give her one last hug.
         “What matters is that we stop my brother. Don't worry, Cuddles; I'll come back to you, I promise.” She licks my cheeks. I nuzzle her a bit and set her down.
         “Let's go.” They confirm with a nod and we fly out to the limits, a few miles east of here, give or take 27.
         Once there, we land in a barren desert like land that has winds making a few dunes. Grabbing a Bluetooth like object from my pocket and activate it. It works like a radio, you press the button to talk.
         “Stephanie, how long til he comes here? Over.”
         “Duration is approximately 2 minutes until impact. Until then, scout your environment for advantages. Over.
         “Steph, he's Earth. What advantage? Pretty sure unless rain happens today, we're screwed. Over.”
         “Then I wish you luck, bro. However, that doesn’t defy logic. Over and out.
         Even though the line was already out, I still say, “Over and out.” As she said, looking around could help us but it can be somewhat useless since Retnil is Earth. I wonder if we should stay flying for now. He can’t sense us if we’re not on the earth, can he?
         The little thing is getting bigger and I’m starting to worry a bit. I can feel that power getting stronger as the core of it is getting closer. The fear is getting to me as I grab Judith’s hand. My breath starts to quiver but I take a deep breathe and calm down. One sharp exhale later and I’m ready. Only until then do I realize that I’m grabbing her hand.
         “Oh, sorry, Judith.” I let go.
         “N-No, it’s fine,” she said, rather quickly while grabbing my hand again
         I blushed a bit as she did. I guess even she needs a hand to hold for this.
         “Yoshi! (Look out!)” (Crash)
         That thing was directly over us!? “Get down!” I whisper. Hiding behind a rock with enough view, at least 30 yards away, I see that his spaceship is very stereotypical: ovular with wings at the sides if not a bit further back, one end with windows, the other with two twin engine rockets that look more or less like a 787 if it was twice the size, and I think a weapons system hidden in the bottom, sides, and top of the hull. It was about 25 feet in length, 10 in width and height.
         A side door was opening with some steam coming out. Out steps a faded figure, Retnil. My flesh and blood. My brother. My enemy.
         The smoke clears out and he finally comes into view. He looks almost like me... if I had a built body, more or less chiseled jaw, a serious expression, and longer hair. Though he did wear since kind of Bluetooth as well. What is that for?
         I'm about to get my answer. He presses a button and out comes a small metal pole of sorts and it transmits a hologram a foot away from him. It is a square shaped screen 15 inches a side. It also works as a touchscreen since he presses a few things.
         “So this is Earth.” His voice is deeper and somewhat more hoarse than mine. “Not much of a planet at all, is it? Once I get my revenge, this planet will be fun to destroy.” Not in my watch.
         “I can't let you do that.” I walk around the rock and face him. He looked somewhat intimidating but that ain't stopping me.
         “Hmm, Arseron. Just the person I was expecting. Though I will be honest, you're weaker than what I can give you credit for.”
         “It's just enough for me. And don't try to intimidate me; I know why you're here.”
         “Biology readings stated that my family was here on this dump of a planet. You must be my younger brother Arseron. I trust you already know who I am.”
         “Of course... Retnil.” He smirks. Then chuckled.
         “I do wonder, though, are you really the only other Majeylin in the bloodline? If it is, then I feel sorry for myself that you’ll suffer more than they will.”
         I bring up my stance. “I’ll fight until the end.”
         “Lets see how your persistence wears out.” He bring his own stance and we’re at a draw so far. I feel tensions going on behind the boulder. I think those two are getting antsy. I prepare myself for anything.
         “Your move, Retnil.”
         “Gladly.” He jumps up, at least 30 feet and hardly comes down, shouting, “Earthquake Frenzy!”
         Immediately, I jump up and avoid the clashing rocks. They’re getting higher. Bringing up some energy, I throw a few Energy Balls towards him, but he blocks them with rock barriers that he bring up.
         “Nature Ball!” An Earth equivalent of my power was throw at me, and I do my best to deflect it. “Gah!”, even though it singed my arms a bit. Flying to the core of the moving sediments, I shield myself from any incoming attacks and throw it to Retnil, who was too slow to counter as the energy took him away.
         Wasting no time, I went over and rush him with many punches and kicks. One final kick to the ground. “Hah!” (Crash)
         Backflipping out of the trench I made, I look at the damage before immediately getting a rock to the face.
         “That all you got!?” His attacks were slow, but strong.
         Punch. “Ah!” Kick! “Ugh!”
         “Nature Beam!”
         (3rd) The power of nature was drawn as the beam hit Matt and drilled him to the wall of the cliff nearby. Judith couldn’t take it anymore and tried to defend him but was stopped by Yoshi. She saw all that was happening and had this uncontrollable urge to help.
         “Yoshi! Yoshi! (Don’t! He’ll kill you!)”
         “I have to help, Yoshi! I can’t let him take all the damage!”
         “Yoshi! (You have to wait!)”
         Free from Yoshi’s grip, she charges an overpowering attack aimed towards Retnil. “Lightning..!”
         He turns around. “What the--!”
         “Strike!”
         The energy was released and Retnil as well was thrown into a mountain.
         “Take that..!”


RaNd0Mk1D8o3I


RaNd0Mk1D8o3I
© Copyright 2015 RaNd0Mk1D8o3I (UN: rand0mk1d8o3i at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RaNd0Mk1D8o3I has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/850809-One-More-Chance