*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851455-Heat-and-Weeds
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#851455 added June 11, 2015 at 11:37pm
Restrictions: None
Heat and Weeds
         We're having a heat wave! We're expecting record breaking highs. I don't know how today turned out statistically. I watered all the plants on the back porch, and the tomatoes in pots in the back yard. My dad will hose down the garden in a few days. I pulled weeds by the back door and the elephant ears and under the deck. I didn't have a heat stroke or turn red. So it must not have been too bad.

         I guess we don't usually have these kind of temperatures until July or August. But at least I know summer is here unofficially. I ate a sandwich on the back deck at lunch time, just to be summery. We have outdoor tables and chairs, but it's always so windy, that we seldom serve company outdoors. But my dad likes to shuck corn out there. He also peels cantaloupe and watermelon on the table on Sundays. I go out while he's napping in the chair to pick up the bowls of fruit, the knife and the cutting board. When he wakes he bags the trash.

         This year we're growing some kind of purple plant that grew from bird seed spilled on the ground. He transplanted some of it into pots. They're healthy plants with no blooms. We'll see if anything develops. I pulled the vines out of those today, too.

         We have a big weed by the side patio. We thought it looked nice, so we left it. Two weeks have gone by, and it's tripled in size. It's about 3 feet tall now, just as wide, with big well shaped leaves. We keep asking visitors to identify it for us. I'm just hoping it's not something out of The Little Shop of Horrors.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851455-Heat-and-Weeds