*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851557-Letter-from-the-Editor-June-2015-Fantasy-Newsletter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#851557 added May 30, 2019 at 6:15pm
Restrictions: None
Letter from the Editor June 2015 Fantasy Newsletter
Title


Magic in Ordinary Objects

Second title


Look for the mystery, magic, and power in hidden in the world around us.

Hook


Do you see the great secrets hidden in the world around you?

About this Newsletter


"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." - Harry Houdini

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl

Letter from the Editor


As I write this letter I am listening to the thunder echoing through Las Vegas. I can feel the power of the storm in the way the thunder rolls across the city. I look out my front door and I see rainwater flowing along the curb. Las Vegas is a desert city, sometimes when it rains there are flash floods or water is left standing in the path of traffic. A person should never drive through standing water because one never knows how deep the water. If the car stall and there is a flash flood then the car and its passengers could be swept away.

I think part of the problem is that we have lost the feel of the mystery, magic, and the power of nature. As a results we ignore the danger possessed by natural phenomena. Our ancestors, who could not explain why thunder and lightning occurred, instinctively sensed the mystery, power, and magic hidden in the forces of nature or the world around them. They responded by worshiping a natural phenomena or attributing it to an invisible and powerful creator. Our ancestors felt the mystery and the magic in concealed in the world around them.

How many times do we, as writers, listen to the roll of thunder without feeling the power and the magic behind it because we know how thunder is created. Have we lost the awe our ancestors felt when thunder rolled because we can explain the phenomena? Do we look at mundane items of the modern world, such as a television or electric range, without attempting to decipher the great secret that may be hidden there? Simply because we can explain how something works or is created does not mean we know everything about the object.

We can enhance our novels by allowing our characters to feel awe in the phenomena of nature. I have a journal exercise to suggest. Write about an ordinary object as if you are seeing it for the first time. Attempt to discover the secret hidden in that object. Then write about a natural phenomena as if you are experiencing it for the first time. If it helps pretend you are a creature from another dimension or planet who has just arrived on Earth. Let me know how this exercise turns out for you.


Editor's Picks

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2042075 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Shimmering dimensions in the maths of strings
         In the collated rows of life's anthropic principle.
         Mandelbrot's ray, its holograph painted in shadow,
         And printed on the walls of space-time-manifold.
         The fractal third of Cantor's set.
         Bit letters in the lyrics of Einstein's geometry,
         Your chords in melody of so many, many, realities

 Sick and Tired of It  (13+)
Fiction from the perspective of a confused girl. She can't even rely on her name anymore.
#2043301 by Ozymandias

Excerpt: “They left me.” I sobbed. I was six and alone in a strange town. Tears were clawing their way down my face like a starved wolverine mangling a rabbit.

 The Dark of Night - First Draft  (13+)
My First attempt at writing something other than my signature. Please be kind :)
#2040925 by MrGinger128

Excerpt: “It’s over! The war is over! Glory to the Eastern Kingdoms!

 The Dragon of Legend  (18+)
A dragon stronger than the rest, only told in legends. That legend has now come to life.
#2036980 by Kyle Peterson

Excerpt: "White Fire represents air, the people who possess this are noble in nature and are more adept to controlling the winds, aiding them in flight," said a young man with crystal blue eyes that flowed like the ocean and long, blond hair. He was teaching a class on Fire of Color to the young kids of his city. Even though he was king of the Yellow Fire Kingdom, he still interacted with his people constantly. "Blue Fire is the Fire of water. These Fire Raiders are known to be gentle and caring. They are able to control the element of water and have the ability to heal any wound. Now, we have Yellow Fire. They are a strong and noble people and have the ability to control the earth around them. They have the ability to cure any kind of dark curse. Finally, we have Red Fire, which represents fire. These Fire Raiders are usually violent and angry, loving war and chaos. They have the ability to control lightening and normal, everyday fire. Their abilities, other than lightening, are torture. Causing the body to feel as if it is burning, whether external or internal, it does not matter."

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2043494 by Not Available.

Excerpt: The front of the building proclaimed, “Adams, Johnson & Sons, Attorneys Est. 1849” in a gold scroll across the windows. They prided themselves on “Fifty Years in Business Serving the People of Pittsburgh”, A heavy ornate door invited only the rich to enter. A doorman stood at attention ready for the approach of any client.



jdstephens Writes: -Ochlophobia; the fear of crowds.

-Acrophobia; the fear of heights.

Rhyssa Writes: I didn't know there was a word for it, but I suffer from Zuigerphobia--which is the fear of vacuum cleaners. There's a good reason for it--which involves long hair, a random object to pick up on the floor, and not being able to reach the off switch with the roller attached to my hair.
I live with hardwood floors now.

willwilcox Writes: Wow, and all this time I thought PANTOPHOBIA was the fear of pants *Rolleyes*. That's why I never wear them *grin*

*Smile* Prosperous Snow celebrating

Elfin Dragon-finally published Writes: Thank you for including "The Musings of Alvenor the Dragon" in your Editor's Picks. *Smile* I'm honored.

You're Welcome. Prosperous Snow celebrating


© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851557-Letter-from-the-Editor-June-2015-Fantasy-Newsletter