*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855066-So-what-does-white-mean
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#855066 added July 22, 2015 at 12:52am
Restrictions: None
So what does white mean
I was listening to Public radio and someone was ranting about how whites do not even know what it means to be white. I do not know where to go with that but it did pique my interest.

I guess as a Swedish person of the lighter skin color than others, I think of the potential for sunburn, especially in this weather. I am real aware that my days as a majority are quickly dissipating, especially in the USA. That brings with it a bit of paranoia. That could be just me. I do recall coming to KC and walking and at one point living in a black neighborhood. It felt kind of strange. For a time I have worshipped as one of the only white in a black church and worked as one of the only whites at Burger King. I felt treated just fine. It was just strange.

I left the church partly because I moved and partly because my wife did not like it. As a Swede, part of my heritage, I try to be neutral and seek points of empathy. I do not know if I succeed or not. Being an introverted idealist kind of makes it easier to be idealistic. I think if I were black or Hispanic base on what I have heard from them, I would be afraid of the police and authorities. I would also have more limited resources than I have now and I do not have much.

I guess it is a good question. I wonder if people of other color think I am evil, because of what history has done in regards to things like racial bias and at present illegal aliens.
Any other thoughts out there!

© Copyright 2015 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855066-So-what-does-white-mean