*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855199-Ponds-and-tadpoles
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#855199 added July 23, 2015 at 2:52pm
Restrictions: None
Ponds and tadpoles
I stacked my daily amount of wood in the wood shed. So, I took the dogs for a walk. Wouldn't you know. Just as we came around the front of the house a runner went jogging by down the road. I have a boxer visiting this week and she thought it might be her job to move the jogger down the road faster. Lucky for me her leash and collar held and I was able to persuade her the jogger was not her business.

One day during the winter I was walking down by the pond which was frozen over with thick ice. From the edge to about 10 feet out toward the middle the ice was very clear like glass.
Since the pond is water gathered in a depression between two slanted pieces of ground it is never deeper than approximately 3 feet. And, it is graduated deeper from the edge into the center. I was very surprised to see young tadpoles swimming around and diving into the muddy bottom stirring up unfrozen muck. I went online later to look up tadpoles and discovered that if they hatch late in the season they suspend their growth for several months and remain as tadpoles waiting for the spring season to mature into a 4 legged frog. It is the small things about science that surprise me and add interest to life.












apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855199-Ponds-and-tadpoles