*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857729-Yellowstone-18
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#857729 added August 18, 2015 at 10:57am
Restrictions: None
Yellowstone 18
The trek on the trail at Sheepeaters Cliff was educational. The columns were so high. Must be interesting if you are a climber. When they say the columns are 500,000 thousand years old it makes me wonder how they lasted this long. The varying colors are interesting.

According to David Yetman, Hot water boiling up from under the ground hits rocks and leaves iron deposits. Microbiologists have found Iron eating micro organisms on the iron deposits. These are organisms that are involved in the development of planets. Scientists study Yellowstone organisms because they may show what is happening in the development of other planets.

When I find out information like this I have to imagine what fun it would be to be able to travel to another planet just to watch it develop into a place that is habitable for mammals from the earth.

Yellow bellied Marmots are found near rocks so there may be a colony here somewhere. The fact that they are a food source for the Golden Eagle, Grizzly's and coyotes made me wary. I listened for the whistle sound they make to warn the clan that danger is near. Settlers used to call them whistle pigs.

I'm getting lots of bird pictures; Gray Jays, Chipping Sparrows, Mountain Chickadees, a Raven, even an American Dipper. I really like seeing all there bird species. Trail guide says there are over 100 species in West Yellowstone. Also says there are over 300 species in the over all park. I'm seeing the changes that are in some species that are just a little different than the ones at home.

© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857729-Yellowstone-18