*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857790-Remembering
Rated: E · Book · Community · #2053350
Let the blogging begin again and again and again.....
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#857790 added August 19, 2015 at 6:25am
Restrictions: None
Remembering
It was a fantastic day. I am starting a new caregiver adventure. I kind of like this gig. I got to meet a new guy and there is no question if this encounter is any indication my world/ ;life will look forward to each day knowing new challenges await. Today I had a blast with a new potential client .

Jerry (not his real name) has early on set Alzheimer's. He has three very beautiful children, a lovely wife and two dogs.

I knocked on the door and there he was ready to go and see mom. We went out the door and there he was ready to go. He was eager to show me the way. We went out in my car to visit at a nursing home nearby. The only problem was that when we had gone a distance Jerry could not recall where to go. It could have been a disaster. Jerry took time to share with me that he had dementia and he had a hard time remembering things. I said that was okay and I meant it. We talked to the caregiving agency which had just called him up. We were at the assisted living place in no time.

His mom was a very beautiful elderly lady with a giant smile. She was so glad to see her son! The only complication that became evident early in the visit was that she had dementia too. This made for some very interesting dynamics. At one point I found myself talking to Jerry's mother, only to be told by her that she was not his mother. How did you get that idea?

She then got a knowing look from her son and she did an about face as if she knew that she was his mother and did not know how she could think that she wasn't. The visit could have very easily been a quick one. They had various bouts with being anxious. They fought those impulses and there was this wonderful loving exchange that took place. They talked about memories going out and camping, politics, the upcoming wedding (Jerry could not remember the date, "but just the other day they got their suits". Each of them caught up on what was going on with family.

It was such a joy, because they were sharing about very intimate memories, there was lot of laughter. It was a very spiritual event, something "sacred". At one point when Jerry was getting some water, she talked about what a tragedy it was for her son to have the problem. I was glad to share with her that Jerry was always her son and that was the greater celebration. (I had similar experiences with my brother who has severe mental issues). We shared celebrating what each of them remembered and offered out of what they knew at that moment. My role was to facilitate and as she remarked to be Jerry's friend.

I was blessed to be part of that moment and look forward to being apart many more in days to come.
*Delight*
© Copyright 2015 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857790-Remembering