*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858637-Fun-at-the-fair
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#858637 added August 29, 2015 at 11:34am
Restrictions: None
Fun at the fair
I spent yesterday afternoon at the Crawford Fair. We walked the midway. Then we visited the home shows. We saw home canned vegetables, fruit, real honeybees in a display case, yummy fresh honey and maple syrup for sale, photographs of everything, plus all kinds of crafts (paintings, afghans, blankets, quilts, flower arrangements) to many things to tell about.

Then we settled in the bleachers with our french fries, cotton candy and sugar waffles to watch the horse showing. We were watching the trail riding classes. Although it was fun I was disturbed that only 4 riders out of 15 could back up their horses in 90 degree figure or ride through a square on the proper lead or half pass on a 90 degree angle. One girl was jerking the bit in the horses mouth. I assume because she blamed the horse for his errors, until I wanted to jump the fence and thrash her. No trainers said anything from the side lines and I was the only one who seemed to notice the problems. So, these children and adult riders were either over horsed on under taught and put into a class they were not ready to handle. Maybe I need to go back to teaching riders???

Next, we moved on to the the 4H pig sale since my grandchildren show in 4H every year. The pigs are interesting to watch. Their young handlers do a good job but the pigs this year were selling at bottom prices and I fear that the lack of response from the buying public is going to discourage parents who are, in the end footing the bill. I like the slogan that has grown up as a counter reaction "No Farmers, No Food."

When you walk through the hog barns the livestock is generally sleeping in deep clean bedding. But, when they hit the sale ring the handlers are not able to keep up with some of the rollicking pigs. Kicking up their heels at a little taste of freedom with a crowd of spectators.

Many 4H rs will opt out of farming for better paying jobs.

© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858637-Fun-at-the-fair