*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860542
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2057973
An American Liberal almost dies but finds himself 100 years in the future.
#860542 added September 20, 2015 at 5:36pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7
“Guys”, Calvin said, “As you know, I know nothing about 2115 and I’ve only had Barney James photo for about an hour. What’s the deal with him and why do you keep calling him Jesse James?”.

“Yeah, sorry about that”, Nathan said as Gregory and Ansel found floating chairs to sit in. “Barney and I went to school together. I use to visit him so we could do homework together and his family always seemed to be a bit odd”.

“How so?”, Calvin asked.

“They always seemed to be upset over the rights of the oppressed”, Nathan paused when he saw Calvin about to ask the next question. “Oppressed people are what you would call criminals in your time. In your time, the oppressed were blamed for their crimes. If they committed a crime they were expected to pay for that crime. Here in 2115 if a criminal commits a crime, it’s society's fault and sometime it’s the oppressor’s fault”.

“Oppressors?”, Calvin asked.

“Oppressors are the cause of some crime. For example if someone uses a racial slur, or if someone claims that something is an actual sin..”

“A sin?”, Calvin asked. “Oh, you’re talking about the re-write done to the Bible. Sin now is only done by really evil people?”.

“Yeah, and that’s defined by the federal government”, Nathan said continuing. “So, society and oppressors, according to the US government, are the reason for any and all crime.”

“I saw videos of Aun Swan killing criminals”, Calvin said. “If society or Oppressors are at fault then why would she hunt them and kill them?”.

Nathan and the others looked at each other and then back at me, “Only Conservatives are killed because they are considered enemies of the state and terrorists”.

Oh, well, that explains everything, Calvin thought sarcastically. “So, what you are trying to tell me is that my relative is considered to be an enemy of the state because he disagrees with liberals?”.

Nathan shook his head, “No, he’s gone far beyond that. Not only did he remove his implant but he redesigned it so the federal government is unable to track him. He can learn anything he wants to learn and I doubt that even Aun Swan could stop him.” The other two shook their heads in agreement.

“So he’s some sort of superman?”, Calvin asked..

“What’s a superman?”, Ansel asked.

“He’s a mythical creature of North American lore from about three or four hundred years ago”, Gregory answered.

“Actually Superman is only about 200 years old, but yeah”, Calvin said.

“I think it’s safe to say that Jesse James is definitely equal to any myth I’ve heard,” Ansel said. “The military even tried to take him down, but he kept taking out their tanks and fighter jets. It was too expensive engaging him so they backed off.”

As if to emphasize the point, Nathan turned all his computer screens on. Each one showed and attempt to bring my relative in or just flat out kill him. One screen showed a tank blasting away at him. Another screen showed fighter jets screaming down from the sky while firing everything they had at him. Another one showed him surrounded by the police. Each time he got away and each time he was able to disable anything that was used against him.

Calvin watched closely to see how his kin did what he did. The tank just fell apart. The jets did the same. The police weapons and vehicles just fell in pieces.

“How does he do that?”, Calvin asked.

“It’s the implant”, Nathan said. “I consider myself smarter than most but I’m not in the same class as Jesse James. He’s too smart, too fast and too pissed off”.

Calvin thought about that for a moment. “I’m probably not going to live very long…am I?”.

He looked around the room but no one could look him in the eye.

“I’m really sorry”, Nathan said, “but the government wants him bad and you are sure to be bait. In fact…”. Nathan typed something into his computer and every screen showed video of Calvin. Calvin was on their version of the news.

“Yeah”, Nathan said, “Everyone in San Antonio and probably Texas is being notified that the great, great, great, grandfather of Jesse James is here.”

“Well, if I’m dead meat, I’d like to meet him. I want to see Jesse James myself”, Calvin said.

Everyone looked at each other again and Nathan said “Just so you know, we’re probably not going to live long either. Especially if we help you. I have no love for conservatives, but this government can stick it as far as I’m concerned. I’ll help you, but if either of you guys want to go, you better go now”.

Gregory and Ansel looked at each other and finally Ansel said, “I’d like to meet Jesse James myself. He seems broken to me!”.

“Broken”, Calvin asked.

“Broken is what you might say as good or cool in your day”, Nathan said.

“Oh, I see”, Calvin said. “Yeah, he seems pretty broken to me to. This seems to be a liberal paradise but I have to say, family comes first. I want to talk to him first to see why he hates this time so much. I’ve only been here for a few hours and I know that I have a lot to learn when it comes to the government that is in place today”.

“Oh, yeah”, Nathan said, “A lot has happened from 2015 to 2115. You probably haven’t heard of the wars and you probably don’t know we lost the west coast to China including Alaska”.

“Ah…oh…no, I haven’t heard that…”, Calvin was at a lost for words.

“Yep, taxes are now 100% for everyone. The federal government gives you what they think you deserve. Property is taken much more easily now that in your time if the government wants it. There is no competition for anything. There are no such thing as individual states. All of the states are one. The list goes on and on. I suppose your relative is pissed at either one of those or all of them”.

I was not feeling very cozy about this government myself.
© Copyright 2015 Manofstone (UN: manofstone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Manofstone has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860542