*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860798-Take-It-All
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #2052168
All stories will follow this Adele album.
#860798 added November 13, 2015 at 5:27pm
Restrictions: None
"Take It All"

Teri could tell David was deep in thought as she handed him the towel to dry his hands. She offered, “I have bottled water in the fridge.”

“Please.  That would be great.”  David sounded preoccupied. 

She watched him retreat to the living room.  She liked watching David walk away.  She weighed her options on whether she should inquire further.  Teri cracked the cap for him as she handed him his bottle.  Curiosity won,  “A penny for your thoughts.”

“I’m sorry Teri but this just isn’t working.”

“Thank you for trying.  I’ll hire a real mechanic.”

“No.  I don’t mean the car.  I mean us.”

“Oh,  oh. “ Each word pulled out, elongating each until understanding set in.  “That’s unexpected.”  Teri fell down into the sofa beside David, letting her dark curls spill over the back cushions in a riotous mess.

“I wish you wouldn’t do that.  It’s been fantastic, but we’ve just been going way too fast.  We need to apply the brakes for a second, if you get my meaning.”

Teri pulled her hand back from massaging the back of his neck.  “Yes.  I mean you are speaking English.  And I understand English.”

“You see, the thing is there is…was…no, is another girl.”

That was too much.  Teri sprang from the couch, pacing the floor in hurried steps, flinging her arms as she spit out each accusation.  “Seriously?  Another girl?  That old standby?”

“It’s true.  We were going through troubles and took some time away from each other.  Lately, we’ve been talking and now -- I don’t know.”
 
David looked so pathetic when he lied.  “Oh, I think you do know.  You are scared of commitment so you drift away when things get too deep.”  Her pacing landed her next to the entry door.  After a moment’s hesitation, she yanked the door open for him.  He looked like he wanted to say more.    Her voice dropped to a whispered hurt demand, “You need to leave.  And I mean more than this house.”

Teri slammed the door behind David, muttering epitaphs, and throwing objects or pillows at different targets selected in the room.  “I’d like to find just one man who keeps his word and isn’t just looking for a play toy.  Scum bucket worm, that’s what he is.  Take it all and then run like hell.  Scum bucket worm!”  Teri caught herself before her mother’s picture ended up on the other side of the room, and gently cradled the memory against her breasts.  “Oh, mama, why did he have to be so … so ….perfect?”  Teri didn’t like to cry.  It made her feel weak.  Instead she swallowed hard in an effort to fend off the tears brimming in her eyes as she dropped into the task chair at her desk to contemplate her future.  The ceiling was a blank canvas that let her focus her thoughts, as she absently used the desk to push off and start spinning.  The force of her push send the chair to the edge of the floor mat in a slow whirling motion.  When it threatened to slow its spin, she pushed off the desk again to continue the whirling.  Some people thought best standing, others lying out flat, not she.  Teri needed motion -- fast, dizzying motion.
[word count:  548]
*****
Didn't I give it all,
Tried my best,
Gave you everything I had,
Everything and no less?
Didn't I do it right?
Did I let you down?

Maybe you got too used to
Well, having me around.
Still how can you walk away
From all my tears?
It's gonna be an empty road
Without me right here.

[Chorus:]
But go on and take it,
Take it all with you.
Don't look back
At this crumbling fool.
Just take it all
With my love,
Take it all
With my love.

Maybe I should leave
To help you see
Nothing is better than this
And this is everything we need.
So is it over?
Is this really it?
You've given up so easily,
I thought you loved me more than this.

[Chorus:]
But go on, go on and take it,
Take it all with you.
Don't look back
At this crumbling fool.
Just take it all
With my love,
Take it all
With my love.

I will change if I must.
Slow it down and bring it home, I will adjust.
Oh if only, if only you knew,
Everything I do is for you.

[Chorus:]
But go on
Go on and take it,
Take it all with you.
Don't look back
At this crumbling fool.
Just take it,
Take it all with you.
Don't look back
At this crumbling fool.
Just take it all
With my love,
Take it all
With my love
Take it all
With my love.



© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860798-Take-It-All