*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861574-Assignment-2--the-Protagonist-InterviewIntroduction
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #2059771
ASSIGNMENTS FOR NANO PREP
#861574 added October 2, 2015 at 11:28pm
Restrictions: None
Assignment 2: the Protagonist Interview/Introduction
Friday, Oct. 02
Required: Protagonist Profile ▼

Complete a character profile of your protagonist. The point of this exercise is for you to get to know your character inside and out before you write your novel. If you don't know your character, how can you expect it of your readers? Flesh out your pre-story character in detail. Keep in mind that your protagonist will grow in some way during your story. Add the profile to your character database (if applicable.) For more serious character profilers, here is an optional, very extensive template: "Character Interview / Profile Sheet"

Bonus: Protagonist Voice ▼

Have your protagonist introduce themselves to us in first person using their own voice. Brainstorm ways to make their voice unique. Add the introduction to your character database (if applicable.)

CHARACTER INTERVIEW / PROFILE

Name:
Warren Thomas Miller

Background
Birthday:
July 14
Place of birth: Australia
Parents: Bio dad is not in the picture, but his name is Warren John Miller. He was raised by his mother’s grandparents: Lorenzo and Amy Matthews Young. His mother is Kathryn Young.
What was important to the people who raised him: Grandparents were missionaries in Australia. Daughter had him at age 18, never married, that was a thorn in her parents side ever since.
Siblings: Two brothers, each with a different father.
Economic/social status growing up: Raised by grandparents in religious home. Ranching and farming upbringing.
Ethnic background: Primarily Italian and English, some minor German influenes.
Places lived: Australia, and then back to the states. Montana for childhood. College in California. Back to Montana for settling down and working the ranch.

Current mailing address and phone number:
4975 Noble Extension, in rural Hamilton, Montana, 59840-9263, US, (406) 558-7989

Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business and Finance.
Favorite subject in school: Math
Special training: Animal husbandry
Jobs: Ranch manager
Salary: Varies
Travel: local. International trip every three or four years.

Friends: five college friends. Best friend is Laurie Mans
How do people view this character: Everybody likes him.
Lives with: On his own, but near grandparents.
Fights with: Mother. She made a mess of her life.
Spends time with: No one right now.
Wishes to spend time with: Laurie Mans
Who depends on him and why: Brothers and grandparents. He is the only reason the ranch did not go under, and can provide everyone with a decent living.
What people does he most admire: Grandparents who raised him.
Enemies: Jim Twydell, Laurie’s current boyfriend. Bio-parents
Dating, marriage: Dated in high school and college, no one seriously. Not married.
Children: None that he knows of.
Relationship with God: Church going Catholic with grandparents.

Overall outlook on life: Happy. Confident. Feels like something is missing.
Does this character like himself: Absolutely.
What, if anything, would he like to change about his life: Would like to meet his bio dad
What personal demons haunt him: Wonders why his dad does not want to meet him or find him.
Is he lying to himself about something: Tells himself that he loves Laurie only as a friend.
Optimistic/pessimistic: Optimistic
Real/feigned: down to earth
Morality level: trustworthy.
Confidence level: No illusions about his attributes and defects.
Typical day: work hard all week, rip it up on the weekends. Neighbors are not close by, so friendships and conversations are long and delicious.

Physical appearance
Body type:
Average height, well muscled,
Posture: straight, no disruption in gait.
Head shape: Oval with squared off jaw line.
Eyes: Hazel, almond shaped.
Nose: small bump where he broke it when he was a kid.
Mouth: generous lips, ready smile, chipped tooth
Hair: thick black, soft waves.
Skin: well tanned caucasian
Tattoos/piercings/scars: Tiny scar on his nose where it was broken when he was a kid.
Voice: Tenor
What people notice first: Smiles easily. Easy to talk to.

Clothing: practical, loose fitting and durable.
How would he describe himself: Friendly.
Health/disabilities/handicaps: Nothing noticeable.

Characteristics
Personality type (choleric, sanguine, phlegmatic, melancholy):
The Inspirer
Enthusiastic, idealistic, and creative. Able to do almost anything that interests them. Great people skills. Need to live life in accordance with their inner values. Excited by new ideas, but bored with details. Open-minded and flexible, with a broad range of interests and abilities.
Strongest/weakest character traits: inspirational, reckless
How can the flip side of his strong point be a weakness: Doesn’t take advantage of opportunities very fast, sometimes that means others take advantage of him.
How much self-control and self-discipline does he have: A lot. His strength is based in his faith.
What makes him irrationally angry: Explaining why he and his 2 brothers have different last names and why it is not the same as his mom and dad’s.
What makes him cry: Tries not to. It would take some harm coming to a loved one, or the loss of a loved one.
Fears: Singing in public
Talents: managing a business.
What people like best about him: trustworthy.

Interests and favorites
Political leaning:
Conservative
Collections: antique firearms
Food, drink: local craft beers.
Music: New country
Books: spy thrillers
Movies: action hero
Sports, recreation: equestrian
Did he play in school: rodeo
Color: YELLOW
Best way to spend a weekend: RIDING HORSE, BEER WITH BUDDIES. DANCING
A great gift for this person: ANYTHING FOR HIS HORSE
Pets: HORSE
Vehicles: 2006 CHEVROLET COLORADO
What large possessions does he own (car, home, furnishings, boat, etc.)
and which does he like best:
RANCH AND YELLOW RANCH HOUSE ARE OWNED OUTRIGHT. NO CREDIT. He just does not like carrying paper on anything.

Typical expressions
When happy:
loud hearty laugh
When angry: quits talking. Eyes go almost black and he stares
When frustrated: Throws things.
When sad: goes off by himself

Idiosyncrasies:
Laughs or jeers at:
Politicians
Ways to cheer up this person: jokes. Beer with friends.
Ways to annoy this person: suggest vegan anything. Give him the phone for "the Christmas call"
Hopes and dreams:
Find someone to grow old with.
How does he see himself accomplishing these dreams: he is a doer, not a planner.
What’s the worst thing he’s ever done to someone and why: “forgot” to give his friend Matt a phone message until it was too late because he did not think the girl was a good match for Matt.
Greatest success: No debt.
Biggest trauma: Can’t seem to hold down a stable relationship.
Most embarrassing thing that ever happened to him: Locked out of a hotel room in just his underwear. Had to get maid service to let him in his room.
What does he care about most in the world: Laurie, his college buddies, his grandparents, his brothers.
Does he have a secret: He wishes Lauried liked him the same way he liked her.
If he could do one thing and succeed at it, what would it be: Fly a plane, but can’t stand heights.
He is the kind of person who: would help anyone in need.
What do you love most about this character: his sense of humor
Why will the reader sympathize with this person right away: he is the one you want your daughter to date, or a woman would want to date.
How is the character ordinary or extraordinary: He is charming, and it’s not fake.
How is his situation ordinary or extraordinary: He comes from what can be considered a dysfunctional family, with only his grandparents providing stability, and came out on top.

Core Need:
Corresponding psychological maneuver (delusions, obsessions,
compulsions, addictions, denials, hysterical ailments, hypochondria, illnesses,
behaviors harming the self, behavior harming others, manias, and phobias):
passive aggresive
Anecdote (defining moment): Just don’t quit.
History: Just waits for someone to let him down, then he’s gone. The core people in his life are those that stayed through the hard times.

My name is Warren Thomas Miller. I am a cradle Catholic raised by my grandparents because my dad did not have a backbone and my mom lacks character and judgment. I have two brothers who I tolerate because they are kin and don’t screw up too bad. We do not have the same fathers because my mom does not have the ability to hold any relationship together. The most irritating thing I have to do frequently is explain why my mom named me after her one night stand, as she did with my two brothers. It gets tiresome explaining why each boy has a different last name, but it’s the only way she could remember who the fathers were. So when you see me calling this older couple mom and dad, it’s because they earned that title. The one who ran out on me is my bio dad. I would like to meet him one day, get his story, but then again, I might end up punching his lying mouth. I call my bio mom, “the one who gave birth to me”. She does not deserve the title mom. It grates on her nerves when I call her Ms. Kitty; so that, of course, is what I call her every chance I get. I only speak to her once a year at Christmas, and that’s only if they find me long enough to hand the phone off to me so they don’t have to talk to her anymore. Up to July 14 of my 18th year, I got a happy birthday call from Ms. Kitty. Nowadays, she might mention a belated happy birthday at Christmas, but who really cares? A good son would call her on her birthday; but I am not that good son. Since her birthday is on December 22, I mention it on the Christmas call – if they find me to make me take the phone call. She is getting smarter now that she is in her 40s, she switches up the time she calls, so the chance of ducking the calls is pretty remote.

I would like to be married one day and have kids, but the only one I want to share my life with does not see me that way. Maybe one day things will change. Right now, I am not dating anyone seriously, but let’s face it, you gotta release energy once in a while. The women usually break it off with me because they want to get married and I don’t.

Life has laid out pretty nicely for me so far. I give credit to my mom and dad for taking care of me and giving me the skills to have a life worth living. Lord knows Ms. Kitty and bio dad threw me away and I could have ended up in a much more … let’s face it, with those two idiots as role models I would be dead or in prison. My mom and dad made sure I got a fighting chance at a decent life. I did not let them down. Never will. As long as there is breath in my body, those two will want for nothing.

This year none of us will have to take “the call.” We will be in Italy to visit my dad’s kin. We take this trip every three or four years, it is good to stay connected to our distant relatives, and it gives Pops a thrill to speak Italian with his cousins.

That’s all. What you see is what you get. If it’s your business, I will answer your questions.

signature of calalilly
~~Image #4000 Sharing Restricted~~


© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861574-Assignment-2--the-Protagonist-InterviewIntroduction