*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
10
11
12
13
14
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862810-SOUND-ITS-INESCAPABLE
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#862810 added October 14, 2015 at 10:11pm
Restrictions: None
SOUND, IT'S INESCAPABLE
          PROMPT: SOUND- Describe three sounds that are important to you, and one sound that drives you absolutely nuts.
         Everyday, I am bombarded by sound; it's inescapable. Much of it remains muted in the background; traffic, wailing sirens, honking horns, elevator music, the murmur of conversations, phones ringing or warbling, dogs yipping, radios blaring, birds chirping, children shouting and squealing, etcetera. At no time is there complete silence.
         My most favourite sound is that of laughter. It is a wonderful multi-lingual noise common to everyone. It lifts spirits and spreads happiness. With it, people create connections and celebrate life. Even the many unique sounds of laughter evoke more laughter; it's contagious. Giggles and guffaws, whoops and wheezing, snorts, snickers and snuffles, staccato machine gun fire, braying and barking; each tee-hee, bahaha, haha, is music to my ears. I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine.
          Another set of sounds that I really like is that synonymous with a campfire. I anticipate the initial whoosh of a fledgling fire as the kindling ignites. Stretching, shimmering, dancing flames snap and crackle. Glowing logs sizzle and pop. Collapsing wood falls with a contented sigh;oh wait, that's me, I sigh in contentment. A campfire signals a time to relax and reflect. Often it is accompanied by boisterous story-telling, raucous laughter, rowdy, off-key singing, and life-affirming conversation. It's a glorious hubbub of cherished family and friends' voices. There may well be whispering, shouting, howling, gasping, and echoing. In the lulls and silences, the raccoons "chirr" softly to each other, the mosquitoes hum and "whirr", something rustles in the grass, an owl somberly hoots, and a squirrel scolds with a "chittery chirr".
         Another sound that I appreciate and cannot live without is the steady "beep, beep" of my kitchen timer. Most of the time, I multi-task, but it can be distracting and, I confess, I lose track of time. If not for that cheery, but insistent alarm, I would burn my baking. It has the power to remind me I started something that I need to finish.
         Yes, I like to bake and enjoy the fruits of my labours in the kitchen, but I do not like, no, I really dislike, the strident screeching of a smoke detector. It is an annoying, persistent sound that reverberates in my skull. Is it an angry pterodactyl; a harsh, rasping, yet shrill screaming? No subtle sound; a smoke detector is sudden and very loud. I cannot ignore one. Yes, it serves an important purpose, but usually it over reacts. It does conjure up fond memories of an elderly, height-impaired aunt flailing at her blaring out-of-reach smoke detector with a flimsy dish towel, commanding it to stop all the fussin'.

© Copyright 2015 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862810-SOUND-ITS-INESCAPABLE