*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/863998-Assignment-21-plot-backstory--class-reunion
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #2059771
ASSIGNMENTS FOR NANO PREP
#863998 added October 24, 2015 at 9:22pm
Restrictions: None
Assignment 21. plot backstory. class reunion
Saturday, Oct. 24
Required: Contest Round 4: Plot Background Story ▼

Write a story that sets up your plot. EXAMPLE: The Lord of the Rings story revolves around the One Ring, its significance, and how it's destroyed. But how did Frodo get the One Ring in the first place? We learn that in The Hobbit. You obviously can't write a full-scale novel in 15 minutes, but you could write the scene where Bilbo encounters Gollum and stumbles across the ring. That would be a background story that sets up the plot in Lord of the Rings.

*Submit your BITEM or ENTRY link by 1200 noon WDC time on Sunday, Oct. 27 to compete. If you miss this deadline or choose not to compete, you may still post your assignment completion for the grand prize per the standard Challenge guidelines.





         The All School Class Reunion was this Saturday. Warren did not mind the kids he went to school with, but an all school reunion meant his bio-mom, Ms. Kitty, was invited. It meant that the chronics were invited. He had bad experiences with all of them. The only person he hoped to see was Laurie. Like so many high school promises of never forgetting your best friend, theirs also faded with time and distance. He went to California for a couple years and she went to New Orleans for a couple years. Gradually, the calls and letters became less frequent and stopped all together.
         His dad and mom (Lorenzo and Amy were really his grandparents, but the courts said they were his parents) were also invited. Warren was sure Ms. Kitty would get drunk and make a fool out of herself in some fashion. "Dad, I saw the guest list. Mother said she would be there.”
         “I know, son. Don’t worry. It’s taken care of.”
         “How?”
         “I am bankrolling the food and all they have to do is keep the alcohol and drugs off premises, and keep all drunk or under the influence off the property. The committee agreed. If they can’t do it, I shut it down.”
         “I don’t think it will be that easy.”
         “Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll see.”
         Warren liked that part of his dad. Nothing riled him. He was calm and thought on things before acting. Warren kicked at the fence line before asking about the other thing pressing on his mind. “Dad. What should I say to Laurie? She’s on the guest list, too.”
         Lorenzo squinted at the herd and chewed on the grass spear as he thought on it for a bit. “How about ‘I’m sorry’?”
         “I didn’t do anything wrong. We just lost touch with each other.”
         “Son. Unless it’s the police, it’s always the man’s fault. It’s just easier to man up and apologize and get it over with.”
         “But it wasn’t a fight.” Warren knew he sounded like he was pleading, and it gave him a certain sense of irritation with himself.
         He could tell dad was done. He got firm and cut off conversation when he was ready to end a conversation. “Okay. Do it your way. And when your way ain’t working, apologize.”
         “Even if I don’t know what I’m apologizing for.”
         “Yep.”
         Warren could only shake his head. “I don’t get it.”
         “Never knew a woman to start an apology. They ain’t built that way.”
         “Mom is.”
         “No, she ain’t. No, sir, she is not. She likes to start fights so I apologize, but no, son, she lets me start the apology. Half the time I don’t know what the apology is for. Just made up my mind that it didn’t matter. But you do what you want. You’ll figure it out soon enough.”
         “Dad, that’s gross.”
         Lorenzo chuckled as he slapped his son on the back. “Mind your manners. Let’s go. Ma probably has lunch ready.”

© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/863998-Assignment-21-plot-backstory--class-reunion