*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864406-I-Fought-the-Law
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#864406 added October 28, 2015 at 7:17pm
Restrictions: None
I Fought the Law

** Image ID #2009874 Unavailable **



Song: "I Fought The Law"
Original: The Crickets
Cover: Green Day


This was a fun one because the original artist (The Crickets) is actually still active, but the better-known acts who subsequently covered the song (The Bobby Fuller Four and, more notably, The Clash) have both disbanded. Ranked by Rolling Stone as the 175th greatest song of all time, "I Fought the Law" has been covered numerous times by artists that include Hank Williams, the Dead Kennedys, Mike Ness of Social Distortion, Bryan Adams, John Mellencamp, Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, the Stray Cats, Grateful Dead, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and my pick... Green Day.

Green Day was formed in 1986, but their first major album didn't hit until 1994. I was in junior high at the time and remember loving songs like, "Welcome to Paradise," "Basket Case," and "When I Come Around," but also thinking that they might not be around for very long, as a lot of punk-tyle bands at the time were kind of one-hit or one-album wonders. Of course, twenty years, nine albums, and 75 million sold units later, I think it's safe to say I was wrong (and thankfully so) about their longevity. Green Day is one of those bands that constantly seems to be reinventing themselves and really speaking to the issues of the time. I've enjoyed following their career and their music over the years, particularly the years where they released American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.

Fun Fact: This song was originally released as part of an iTunes commercial during Super Bowl XXXVIII



© Copyright 2015 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864406-I-Fought-the-Law