*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868365-BC--Born-Innocent
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nonsense · #2050715
Thoughts and takes on the way life presents....
#868365 added December 11, 2015 at 1:07pm
Restrictions: None
BC: Born Innocent
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/opinion/sunday/born-to-be-conned.html?_r=0

I read an interesting article this weekend and would like your opinion. "Honesty and greed are beside the point. We get ourselves into trouble because we're suckers for belief. What matters instead is greed of a different sort: a deep need to believe in a version of the world where everything really is for the best-- at least when it comes to us.." Do you agree or disagree? Are we born to be conned!


I think every one of us wants to believe we are honest and cannot tell a lie. Every one of us has an addiction of some kind. I do not go to casinos for a reason. I do not like to waste my money that I worked too hard to earn. I realized a long time ago that I am no good at gambling because I have too high a degree of fair play and a demand for the truth. You cannot get either in gambling. The house always wins.

I have learned to slow the roll. If I ask a question, it slows the pitchman and once they are off their game, it breaks the hypnotized watchers. Marketing is everything. If you can make the pitchman stumble, you have half a chance not to get suckered into buying something you don't want or need.

In essence, I don't think we are born to be conned. We are born innocent, and the rest of life is learning. The goal is to stay on the road of wisdom and happiness more than you trip and get burned.

© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868365-BC--Born-Innocent