*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868391-Sharing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#868391 added December 12, 2015 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
Sharing
         Despite all the theatrics and frantic bad behavior that I've witnessed in the early part of this holiday, and the tales from my retail friends about the increased stealing, I have seen some good things, too. I witnessed the Marine volunteers collecting toys outside the toy store, where many people bought an extra item or two and dropped them off on their way out. I saw more volunteers today spend the money they collected, over $2000, on toys from a list they had of requests!

         I've heard people telling the cashier they were getting something for the "Angel tree" at the gym or mall. People have told me about their youth groups going shopping together for families they had adopted. My own neighborhood association has worked with the area schools to sponsor several families from each school. The turnout has been fantastic for toys, winter clothes, books, diapers, and food. Families are teaching young children to buy gifts to give away to children without a lot already.

         My church has a mitten tree, has sponsored families for Thanksgiving and Christmas, is collecting goods for the nearest women's prison (which is very strict about what is acceptable), put together over 120 shoe boxes for Operation Shoebox,and gives frequently to the local food bank.

         I have been encouraged with tales of giving and sharing. It is good to know that people care about the local community and are so willing to share with others. The news can be so depressing that it sometimes seems mankind is lost for good. Then you see that the human heart still beats with warmth and love, that goodness and kindness still thrive. Maybe there is still hope for us all.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868391-Sharing