*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868563-TV-Loyalty
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#868563 added December 14, 2015 at 11:07pm
Restrictions: None
TV Loyalty
         I never pictured myself as someone who would watch a TV show about a comic book figure, but, here I am faithfully watching weekly installments of Supergirl. I watch the fighting, the flexing of muscles, the special effects, and super theatrics which the characters in the story accept as plausible. The cast is pretty good.

         Another one I like, not true to my character, is Grimm. It caught me with the lure of the Grimm brothers collecting oral stories and recording them. But that only lured my literary curiosity and disappeared. This show attempts to explain the stories as reality, not folk tales, but mixes them up with police work. So I watch people turn into creepy characters, like the bad wolf or mice or unspeakable nasty, half-dead creatures. And there's plenty of blood and mutilation. I don't know how people who thrill on that stuff will manage when that becomes old hat to them.

         My all time favorite show is still the half-hour Andy Griffith Show. Since I discovered The Virginian, I've been an addict. Maybe it's just passing. I once was an addict of M.A.S.H.. But the latter was still on the air when I finally watched it. The former was off the air for almost 45 years. I now understand the Trekkies and Star Wars fans, at least a little.

         I've also discovered there are lots of fan clubs and Facebook pages for former TV shows and stars. My first thought was how pathetic for the star who was trying to keep his image and his name alive out there in TV land, now that he is basically retired. But I've come around on that, too. It was just a job for them, but they had fans. They grew accustomed to the adulation. Most of them realized they were helping to create an escape for the viewers.They are politely showing their appreciation for the people who made them stars! And sometimes making public appearances to raise money for charity. I think it's nice that they're still putting on the show, and letting the fans have a little nostalgia.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868563-TV-Loyalty