*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868926-Continuation-of-100-things-ChallengeKiller
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#868926 added December 20, 2015 at 11:20am
Restrictions: None
Continuation of 100 things Challenge/Killer
Continuation of yesterday's 100 favorites challenge: (good thing I've had some coffee)

10 Games

I do love games! And competing! And winning! I know this isn’t a ’things I dislike’ list, but I’m putting this in here anyway. I detest Monopoly and Risk. I swear they seem to last longer than chaperoning a twelve-year-old girl’s slumber party and equally make me want to cause physical and emotional harm to myself or someone near me.


1. Dominoes – Family tradition. I love hearing: Missy Lea Audra, she’s the best. Muhahahaha
2. Catch Phrase – so fun – from 2 to 26 people – it’s like electronic password. At some time in it, I will laugh until it hurts. For instance, the time Dad got the word ‘G spot’ and said, “I have no idea what this is.” Lol it still makes me giggle.
3. Online and in-person Spades – I prefer partners but any will work. Just bid your hand and all is good.
4. Clue – I remember playing this before I was 6. A thinking game. I loved it. It was Miss Peacock in the parlor with a revolver.
5. Football – of course; I’ve already spoken about this love.
6. Trivia – well, some types – it can’t be some subjects or too hard but I enjoy the challenge
7. Family Feud – I love to play along with the television show; and there is an electronic game.
8. Minesweeper was my first computer game, and it’s one I occasionally go to to kill time mindlessly.
9. Almost any card game – Crazy 8, Gin Rummy, Peeza (no idea how to spell it)
10. Charades or charades type games – I guess I like games that make me laugh, because if you don’t end up laughing with this one, you aren’t playing it right. :)

6 Drinks/Beverages:
1. UNSWEETENED iced tea – Never ever sweet. I think it is all what you grew up on. I love it – the taste, the refreshing feeling, and of course, the caffeine.
2. Water – though I may not always crave it, I love it. It is kind of like when you were a kid and you didn’t want to take a bath, but then when you got in you never wanted to get out. That’s how I feel about drinking water.
3. Wine – cheap in a box wine – not to get waste, but rather to achieve that I don’t give a shit feeling. It doesn’t happen very often now, but it is good to have on hand.
4. Coffee – with tons of caffeine and creamer – it makes me feel alive and like I’m able to face the day
5. Lemonade – not the can kind but real yummy pucker your lips lemonade
6. Texsun Grapefruit Juice – first discovered on Twirling Camp. It’s a small can full of pure delightful refreshing joy

4 Desserts:
Only four? Come on, this would be much easier than the games or even the people!

1. Cheesecake – I love the texture and variety of flavors. The first bite feels like a first kiss and just keeps getting better.
2. Cherry Pie – mmmmmm Cherries – warm cherry pie and soft serve ice cream – the perfect treat
3. Mom’s Strawberry Cake – my birthday treat – the icing is to die for – only 2 more months until my birthday!
4. No Bake Cookies – I can never make them right, but I’m so glad other people can – they are amazing peanut butter goodness
5. Pecan Pie – too bad pecans are so expensive now. My mom is a great pecan pie maker – Maybe she will make one for Christmas Eve

10 Paintings – ummm, I can’t even name 10 paintings – do I get to research this one? Poll the audience? Call a friend? I am at a complete loss here. I guess I will try to fake it. Here goes:

1. Norman Rockwell – any of his paintings – they remind you life can be simple, pure, and just plain good. Try to look at one and not smile. It is nearly impossible.
2. Mona Lisa – it’s not particularly visually appealing to me, but I do wonder about the back story – I’ve heard many different theories, but I like to believe that no one really knows.
3. The Dogs Playing Poker – Why? Because I think the first one to make it did it as a joke. . .like for a Dirty Santa party and then it became a fad. You know that artist is like, “What the hell, I spend my life trying to make a masterpiece and no one even bothers to give it a glance, but I put cigars and poker sticks in dogs’ paws and I’m the talk of the town."
4. Whistler’s Mother – Well, because that’s just nice to include your mom in your talent. Respectful and honest is what I think of when I see this picture.
5. The War Plane Painting in our Living Room – both my husband and son like it; it represents history, technology, and patriotism
6. Barn Picture – My parents have a painting of the century plus old barn we had before the tornado swept it away. The painting brings me peace and reflection.
7. A Single Dandelion – I don’t have a particular one; I’ve seen several – I’ve written short stories around this ‘weed’ and somehow feel a connection to it.
8. Kids Holding Hands – the view is of the back of them with their shadow following – it is black and white tinted/painted. A since of innocent, acceptance, and possibilities exist in it.
9. A Blank White Canvas – let me figuratively paint what I need and desire at that moment.
10. Jesus – the picture of just his face with his eyes both piercing and forgiving.

10 Web Sites:
1. Writing.com – well, duh; even if it weren’t true, I would have to say it, right? But it is true. It’s kind of seasonal though in relation to how often I am on it. It has not only provided a creative outlet for me but also support from the writing community.
2. Amazon.com – LOVE IT – way too much actually; but with Amazon Prime it can be an amazing value. It supports one of the activities I enjoy – online shopping
3. Brad’s Deals – also a great shopping app/websites – great deals
4. Facebook – because I’m a creeper (as the kids call it) and like to see what is going on with others.
5. Ebay – not as much as it once was but it still is useful for certain items – barely worn clothes, that out of production item, and just odd items
6. ask.com/health websites – I know I’m not supposed to, but I research illnesses and medicines. I like to think it keeps me ‘informed’ rather than a hypochondriac/over-worrier.
7. teacherspayteachers.com – When I need an additional source for whatever I’m teaching, I know I can find it there; of course, I will find more than I need but that goes along with most shopping excursions.
8. Wengage.com – our online teacher website for grades/attendance/etc. It has made my life so much easier NOT to HAVE to keep a paper grade book.
9. Pinterest – it has some great ideas, but mostly I find it a time consumer with wonderful ideas that I will buy the materials to do but never actually attempt.
10. Youtube – I’m a verbal/sight learner – so not only is it entertaining but a tool to say learn how to get the green out of your swimming pool, tie a tie, or even practice for my lip sync battle while looking at Rick Springfield (in the early years, not now).

10 Writers:

This is a tough one –I’m not much of an ‘author’ follower. I just read what I looks interesting. But I’m not quitting now; so here goes, faking my way through again.

1. Stephen King: Now as a teen, I was definitely a follower . . . anxiously waiting for the next book. I still enjoy his writing, but when he said writer’s should not use adverbs, a part of my heart slowly (get it) died. Honestly, why obliterate a whole part of speech? As an English teacher, I must take a stand.
2. Dean Koontz: Are you getting the picture that I like creepy/horror/psychological thriller books?
3. Judy Blume: 5th – 7th grade, she was my hero. Until I ‘accidently’ read her adult book “Wifey”, and then I was slightly disturbed for a while.
4. Jim Ethridge: (my dad) – he only writes non-fiction and has such a great voice in his writing. His pacing is impressive and he adds just enough humor to keep you smiling all the way through. Check him out - duece .
5. All the writers of the Bible, which I guess would technically be God since He was the ‘muse’: I don’t turn to it often enough, but it is inspiring, brutally honest, and full of interesting stories.
6. James Patterson: I’m not sure if I would still enjoy him, but I did for a while. My Mema got me interested in his writing. I’m not sure why I stopped. I think it was either because they all began to sound the same or because I was having to read too many text books to have time.
7. My husband & my son: I’m putting them both together because neither of them truly consider themselves a writer. My husband has a talent of description and imagery that I envy. My son has such an honesty in his writing; I’m not sure how to explain it. His writing sounds just like he sounds.
8. Dr. Seuss: You have to love nonsensical writing that still flows off the tongue with no hesitation.
9. Wilson Rawls: “Where the Red Fern Grows” showed me the joy of love, hard work, simplicity and allowed me to see a soft side of my father when I was young. I was then able to share that experience with my students.
10. S.E. Hinton: “The Outsiders” – I have read it no less than 40 times, since my 8th graders read it for class every year and I usually have 4 different classes. I think what I love most about it besides the facts that the author is from Oklahoma and the book isn’t gender specific as far as who it appeals to is that I discover something new every year that I read it. Or, perhaps my memory is deteriorating.

10 Famous lines from books/movies – ugh, I might give up here. I am not a quoter of movies and books. Not to be sexist, but I think it is a guy thing. That and I don’t enjoy reading a book or watching the same movie more than once for the most part. There are too many others to explore. Honestly, I’m just going to try to come up with ten.

1. “Luke, I am your father.” – It’s fun to say into a microphone and sometimes at awkward moments. However, then a Star Wars fan might think you’ve actually paid attention all the way through one of the movies and start a conversation with you, making you smile and nod with fake agreement and understanding for a millennium.
2. “Stay gold, Ponyboy.” – However, it drives me insane when people quote it wrong by saying ‘stay golden’. If there is one quote I know for sure it is this one.
3. “To thine own self be true.” – Shakespeare has many memorable quotes but I think this is one that we all need to remember no matter what our age or stage in life.
4. “Willllssssooooon” (from the movie Castaway): It was such a sad moment but also revealing. It showed, at least to me, how vital even the seemingly unimportant can become to us. One man’s trash is another man’s lifeline.
5. Galatians 6:4 – “Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job we done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.” – I grew up in a competitive family; it wasn’t forced on me, but it was me – a big part at least. For a period of my life, I didn’t feel like doing my best was enough; I had to be the best. That is a difficult mantra to live. It started to become how I felt people judged me too. I don’t know how much that was in my own mind, but I still felt it. And since the best is often subjective, it was a stressful road to travel. This verse reminded me, that God doesn’t look at me compared to others, but only me and what I try to do and be and loves me even when I don’t succeed.
6. “Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.” – It’s just a nice thought – life on Earth connects to the spiritual world; and also that imagination is important to all generations.
7. “Please, sir, may I have some more.” – Okay, so I’m grasping at straws now. Believe it or not, I have read a few books and watched more than three movies, but I’m drawing a complete blank here. Here Oliver is asking for a second helping of food which doesn’t seem out of the question since he is homeless and not being well cared for, but at the same time I think it reminds us that sometimes we don’t get what we deserve and also it is better to wait for it to be offered than come across ungrateful and greedy. (Sorry, Oliver – I would have given you seconds though.)
8. “Live long and prosper.” – This is Star Trek. Considering my dislike of sci-fi, I’m perplexed on why 2 of my 10 quotes are from sci-fi. I blame The Big Bang Theory; they refer to it often on that show. But if you think about it, it is a nice message: Don’t die soon, and I hope you aren’t poor. Personally, I’m good with that.
9. “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always; as long as I’m living my baby you’ll be.” – From the children’s book (which is really written to make mother’s sob) “I’ll love you forever”. This is book is wonderful from the time you know you are having a baby through every stage of life. And it does state it perfectly – no matter what happens, what you do, what is going on; I will always love and like you and you will always be my baby.
10. “Life is like a box of chocolates.” (Forrest Gump) – geez how much more cliché’ can I get? I know what he is getting at here, but I just like to think of the fact that chocolate is plain good no matter if it has nuts, coconut, cherries, or that weird gooey white stuff in it. I mean, let’s face it, even if it’s not your favorite kind it is still chocolate and chocolate can’t be all bad. So even when life gives you weird gooey white weird-texture filling, life is still chocolate; there is still a fantastic part to it.

Finished!!!!! - Super happy about being able to finish one thing in my life. Now on to conquer the cleaning of the house, wrapping of presents, planning of life, and convincing myself I don’t need a nap.

Thanks for hanging in there!
Audra


© Copyright 2015 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868926-Continuation-of-100-things-ChallengeKiller