*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/869692-over-the-edge
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2050433
pieces created in response to prompts
#869692 added January 1, 2016 at 11:02pm
Restrictions: None
over the edge
“Are you sure I want to do this?”

“You’ll love it!” His voice was the kind of excited that I usually associate with the table dancing stage of a drunk. “You haven’t lived until you’ve done the falls. Just imagine—all of a sudden, the world drops out from under you and you’re totally at the mercy of the river.”

“But I like control.” I muttered it, because I thought he might kidnap me with kayaking in mind if he thought I was backing out.

The river was wetter than I thought it would be—apparently kayaks aren’t designed to keep you dry—they’re designed to flip back over after dumping you in. It might have been refreshing if it wasn’t for the fact of the mud. I don’t like mud. There’s a reason that I spend most of my time indoors.

All too soon, I started to hear the river rumbling. The thing about rapids is that when you’re in the middle of the river, there’s no real chance that you’re going to miss them—but you don’t see them until they’re right there. It was just the two of us, and he wasn’t stopping.

It was there. Suddenly the river dropped out from in front of me.

I screamed.

Prompt 22
the week of December 27

** Image ID #2067446 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2016 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/869692-over-the-edge