*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/870875-Home-and-About
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#870875 added January 15, 2016 at 6:02pm
Restrictions: None
Home and About
I'm home from getting my heart procedure.

They put in two (2) stints. It was no big deal. Now I'm ready for the next twenty years.

My wife and dog are glad to see me home. I got a big hug and the dog circled us wanting to get her share of the attention.

I went out to the shop and worked on the wing to one of my model airplanes. The model is a Sig Senior and it flies like a dream. The past too years have been hard on it and I'm recovering most of the wing and fuselage surfaces, which were once plastic film, with a fabric covering.

Since the wing took a beating on the last flight I redesigned it into a gull shaped wing. It extended the length and really looks neat. Can't wait to try it out come Spring.

In covering my quarter scale I used the same process and materials used on a full sized (real) airplane.
The technique is to adhere the fabric with glue, fill the weave with filler, apply a base coat and finally spray the color and clear coat. It sounds easy and I suppose it is for those experienced in doing it. For me, however, it is a slow learning experience fraught with lessons learned.

I pick up most of my planes at Swap Meets from builders who gave up on their projects. For some it was over ambition, for others health issues and for the rest excuses common to everyone who consigns unfinished projects to the corner of the garage. As a consequence I pick my model planes up inexpensively and carry the projects through to completion. I recently acquired a $1200 model for under $300. I like this approach because if you crash an expensive model it isn't as expensive as it could have been otherwise.



© Copyright 2016 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/870875-Home-and-About