*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872867-Inarticulate-assholes-at-facebook
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#872867 added February 7, 2016 at 5:06am
Restrictions: None
Inarticulate assholes at facebook...
Inarticulate assholes at facebook...
7.februar.2016 i Tromsø, Noreg

I will post here what I really wanted to post "there":

If all your facebook friends are European-Americans and your entire family is the same shade of pale as you are... maybe you've never traveled or made friends of different cultural backgrounds. When your friends self-identify by flags and guns maybe they know nothing else. Not everyone is forced to live outside their cultural bubble. But some of us have so chosen.

I will try to be kind although I'm not feeling very charitable. Today, Sunday, is the most segregated day of the week. Those of you who are Christian may want to look around the pews today. If everyone looks just like you you live in a small inbred village even if your address is in a major urban city. I realize that this may be all you know. But there is a whole world outside waiting to be explored.

When you call someone an asshole... I realize you are venting. Just realize we all have our own unless we've had a colostomy. Unfortunately we also have family and friends who upon occasion fit the metaphorical definition.

However, when you call a public figure an asshole though it no longer is quite so charming. You don't know that person; don't know how much of an asshole they really are... or aren't; you are merely calling a person a nasty name.

Why is this a problem? Some of us identify with the person you have put down. We are the same gender, same racial group, a member of the same religion. We may even be family; they may be our friends.

With friends, family, those we love, it is best to remember this: "I don't like what you are doing, but I love you today and tomorrow". Same with public figures. You may despise what they are doing and you may feel compelled to vent about your fears, concerns, how offended you choose to be.

But... calling someone an asshole just because you don't approve of them or what they have done only proves how inarticulate you are. Give reasons! Say... "I don't like it when so-and-so says or does such-and-such."

Especially in this political season of mud-slinging, remember that you have an asshole too... and metaphorically have probably been one upon occasion.
478

© Copyright 2016 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872867-Inarticulate-assholes-at-facebook