*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873087-Dealing-with-the-Worst
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#873087 added February 9, 2016 at 9:19am
Restrictions: None
Dealing with the Worst
On Sunday my wife Linda and I were in Wausau and went to Zingers and Flingers, which is a new shooting facility for bow and arrows, rifles and handguns.

The purpose of our visit was to get a Concealed Carry Permit. We live in a rural area and as we get older are more and more vulnerable to intruders showing up making threats or... or worse. Often we are outside and don't want to make the neighbors nervous when they see us carrying a handgun.

"I know I know," you're thinking, "Aren't we getting a little paranoid in our old ages? We do have a cell phones, after all, and could call 911 if someone showed up, looking or acting suspicious." This is certainly true and a cell phone is an important part of our emergency management plan.

The problem with the cell phone alone is that if the sheriff dropped everything and raced over here immediately (highly unlikely) it would take twenty minutes. Therein, lies the rub. We feel it's important to stay alive from the time the threat appears until help arrives... that every citizen is responsible for their own security in the early going of a life threatening situation. Is that paranoia?

I don't care if the chances of getting shot by an intruder out here are 300 times less than getting shot by a deer hunter. When hunting season starts and the crazies from out of State start blazing away around our property, we can go inside and minimize that possibility.

It was an all day course and had a shooting component which is required in many states that share reciprocity agreements with Wisconsin.

If another Democratic administration is elected the problem is certain to get worse and there are certain to be many more constraints on our 2nd Amendment Rights. The gun store owners love President Obama. When he gets on the gun control bandwagon, sales skyrocket.

Anyway, it was a good class and it gave my wife and I something to do together. Linda watches those crime shows on TV and didn't need any convincing. There are bad people out there and the Liberal mood of many in this country wants to give the criminals a free pass, while building a higher fence around their gated communities. Even if it isn't likely, my experiences is that being prepared keeps bad things from happening.

© Copyright 2016 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873087-Dealing-with-the-Worst