*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873153-Tattoo-Into-the-Future
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#873153 added February 10, 2016 at 12:12am
Restrictions: None
Tattoo Into the Future
         Some girls were discussing tattoos at work the other night. One has almost her whole forearm covered and plans to do the rest of it. She doesn't mind the pain, and can even sleep while having it done. She remarked that if people need pain killers before getting a tat, that they shouldn't get one at all.

         Then she told us that someone had told her to think about how it would look when she's 60. Presumably, the other person figured a 60 year old would have wrinkled and sagging skin. That may or may not be true depending on the individual. I have known people over 60 whose tattoos still appeared even colored and smooth. But her response was, "I'm not gonna care how I look when I'm 60!"

         (I don't have any, because I was raised to feel it was a violation of the body. Not everyone in my generation feels that way. Many people older than me, women and men, have multiple tattoos, so it's not an age thing. And it's not a church thing, since many church goers have them. I also hate pain. And maybe I can't commit to anything permanent.)

         I said, "You'll care. Oh, you'll care. You'll care." She said, "I know" and I let it drop. Every woman, no matter how old she is, cares. The young have a hard time imaging that someone older will feel the same way. But those feelings never stop. We don't just suddenly wake up one day, and say to ourselves, "Oh, well, I'm an old hag now. Who cares if I look bad? I don't." Oh, no. We care.

         Eventually, we learn to accept reality and stop dressing like 20something. We realize our faces can't handle cat eyes, or excessive eye shadow. A young person's face is a canvas. But as we age that changes. You know the women with too much modern make-up, or fad make-up styles. They look just a tad comical, but they have to figure it out for themselves. However, the fact that they're tying shows they care.

         Only the woman who's been beat down by life and circumstances gives up, but she still cares. The oldest woman we know still fixes herself up as best she can. She still regrets the loss of her smooth skin, her bright eyes, and creamy complexion. I wish I had used more SPF at an earlier age.

         We always care. Our level of vanity my decrease, or increase, allowing for personality differences. But we always care how we look.






© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873153-Tattoo-Into-the-Future