*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873063-LineDancing-Continues
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#873063 added February 9, 2016 at 2:39pm
Restrictions: None
LineDancing Continues
         I nearly had a nervous breakdown on the way to line dancing class. I was on the verge of tears. I had worked myself up into a fit of anger that so many experienced dancers were in the beginning class. The closer I got to the school, the more I wanted to turn around and go home. But despite the rain, I kept going. I thought about the money I couldn't afford to spend on this class, but did any way. I couldn't waste that money.

         So I pulled into the set of schools and found a space finally--the grammar school lot was full after dark! I walked down to the back door and found my group all sitting in chairs. Last week I was the first student, this week the last. I too found a place to sit; so class was late starting.

         At least the first dance was a little easier. It went smoother than last week after a dry run. I think most of left steps were with my left foot, and vice versa. Then it got a little tougher with a line waltz. I made most of the steps, but not always with the correct foot. You turn around several times, so I wasn't always looking at someone who was accurate.My turns are a little offbeat.

         I survived the class. No mental breakdowns, no crying frenzies. The third dance had some foxtrot steps and a little rumba, but I still couldn't put all the routines together. I could follow one segment and do it from memory in the dry runs, but string them together--forget it. Then set it to music. I might be a lost cause. But I kept stepping until eventually I was on the correct foot again facing the correct wall. Once I managed a certain step with the correct foot three times in a row! Then I messed up the fourth time. Aahhh.

         There was more air in the room this time--colder outside the propped open doors. So we didn't get as sweaty. And most of us didn't wear long sleeves this time. But by starting so late, we didn't get as much exercise either.

         However, I feel good knowing I faced my fear and feel like with repetition the easier ones will get better for me. It's as much mental as physical. The brain has to engage to know when to step in front, when in back, which side, when to turn, when to step without moving, etc. When I memorize everything and coordinate with my feet, I can add in hands or shoulders or whatever.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873063-LineDancing-Continues