*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874184-Running-off-at-the-Mouth
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#874184 added February 18, 2016 at 9:53am
Restrictions: None
Running off at the Mouth
Yesterday morning I had breakfast with the RC guys in Wisconsin Rapids. A friend gave me a couple of "Wing Bags" for a model he sold me.

This friend, I'll call him Joe, is generous on the one hand and irritating on the other. At a recent swap meet I bought from him the above model for $50. It had no motor but the servos were in it and it was a good buy. My table was next to Joe and I moved the purchase from his table to mine. About an hour later someone came by and offered me $125 for it. (note: The servos and hardware alone were worth $150 because Joe puts nothing but the best on his models.) I told the potential customer (PC) I would not take less than $150. Joe piped up and said, "WELL....He only paid me $50."

Now I don't give a Rat's Petotti if I make a sale at those swap meets or not. I go to them looking for stuff that gives me "A sense of wonder." This is wonder at the craftsmanship, value and the appeal that some models have. Still the "sour grapes" expressed by my friend was annoying, not so much that the PC moved on, but that the comment was "Mean Spirited" and "Petty."

On the other hand Joe gives me the wreckage of all the models he crashes some of which are repairable and quite expensive. The point is that when tempted to put a friendship at risk, pause and give the matter some thought... for the right reasons as well as the wrong.

After breakfast Linda and I went to Rehab in Steven's Point. While doing the weights one of the facilitator/monitors asked the "Question of the Day." "Why is bacon not always a good food choice?" (The text book answer is salt.) I blurted out, "Trichinosis." She gave me an uncomprehending look and I doubled down. "For the same reason that Polar Bear is." I can't tell you how many times my "smart assed" mouth has said things indicative of what a total jerk I am. I resolved for the one-millionth time to reflect more before I speak and not be such an "A-hole."

Last night my wife and I went to Second Harvest Food Bank and handed out food to the needy. As I saw many of the nation's "Downtrodden" file past, I gave some quiet thanks and prayed that the Lord grant me a little of Ben Carson's grace with a small dab of gratefulness, sprinkled on top.

© Copyright 2016 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874184-Running-off-at-the-Mouth