*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874901-Alzheimers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#874901 added February 24, 2016 at 10:54pm
Restrictions: None
Alzheimer's
         There is a lady in my choir with Alzheimer's. Everyone helps her remember where her purse is, which music book to use, which piece of music, etc. She can't remember singing a piece and is very vocal about announcing that she must have missed a rehearsal. We all know that she was here last week, and said the same thing when it was new to all of us.

         One week she couldn't remember her husband and didn't want to be with him. She had to sit with some of us until she had time to adjust. All throughout the song, she interrupts to ask where we are. The director will say, "I'm only working with the men right now." And she'll respond she still wants to know what's going on. We all feel sorry for her. Most everyone there is very patient.

         Yet this same woman remembers the lyrics to almost every Broadway tune. She's in her seventies at least. She sings first soprano and hits just about every note correctly. Her speaking voice is much lower.

         It's so sad to see this disease make havoc of an obviously talented, intelligent woman's life. She's blessed to have a husband who still thinks it's a privilege to be married to her. I've seen them at dinner having lively conversation. There's still a twinkle in their eyes when they look at each other. That's a good moment for them. They get through the hard ones.

         Hopefully, they are making progress in understanding this disease, delaying it, lessening its effects, possibly preventing it someday. So many would still be living productive healthy lives without it.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874901-Alzheimers