*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875063-Car-Sears-for-Kids
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#875063 added February 26, 2016 at 11:39pm
Restrictions: None
Car Sears for Kids
         Car seats come with expiration dates. Not everyone realizes that. It's imprinted on the bottom of the seat. Not to fear--there is no car seat patrol stopping traffic to inspect your car seat. But you should not purchase a second hand seat without looking at the expiration date. If you are in a car accident, the insurance will not cover an expired seat. You might be charged in an accident if the seat fails to function properly. Charities are not allowed to accept donations of expired seats.

         The reason is that the seats get worn out. A growing child (who doesn't sit like he's made of clay), buckling and unbuckling, removing and reinstalling the seats, and the strain of sudden stops of the car puts stress on the car seat and its parts. The date will be about 5-8 years from the purchase of a new seat. So if your youngest is 12, and you have a baby on the way, buy a new car seat.

         Sounds expensive, but there are things to do. Many stores will offer a trade-in once or twice a year. You take your old car seat or base in and get 25% off a new seat. That helps a little. No they don't recycle the car seat. Fabrics, bacteria, and age prevent that. They throw them out, but it helps their business. You save a little when you buy a new one, and you don't have to go to the landfill with the old one yourself.

         The other alternative is to pay a little more up front, and get one that adapts as your baby gets larger and heavier and needs more foot room, a higher head protector, etc. You simply adjust when you see your child maxing out the seat.

         The reason for extra bases is that you can remove the seat and put it in Grandma's car where she has her own base installed. Or Mom and Dad can have a base in each car and use just one seat. It doesn't work for bigger kids, but for babies and small toddlers, it prevents every member of the family from buying the whole seat. And it's really a pain to install the whole seat. You don't want to move it unless you buy a new car.

         If you're trying to help out a relative, don't pass along an expired seat. Safety is important.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875063-Car-Sears-for-Kids