*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875612-Chapter-26---Far-From-Home
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1949389
Love to publish someday. Scifi, aliens, fighting arena, edit and rewrite in progress.
#875612 added March 16, 2016 at 3:07pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 26 - Far From Home
”Wow.” said Auria.  “So this is it.”

Bob's ship sat down in the middle of a courtyard.  Flying species sailed overhead and yelled above the streets.  A crowd of onlookers gathered to greet the crew.  Everyone left the ship amid the growing masses of life forms.  Many varieties and species awaited, most cheering them onward.  Gen grew anxious and maybe, a little nervous, taking Auria's hand to descend the ramp.  She felt a switch, an uneasy feeling, but he played it off quite well.

“Are you alright?”

“Fine.”

“Is there something wrong?"

“No.” he grasped tighter.

Bob waved, turned and closed the ramp, sliding back into the ship.  When his ship disappeared into a blue vortex, the crew stopped walking.

“Where's Bob going?” everyone asked.

“That guy seemed pretty cool.” said Gen.

“He's alright... for a little person.” said Sot, patting Loof between the ears.

Loof ran ahead as the growing crowd spilled forward.  There were many shapes and sizes and species of unknown varieties, too many to comprehend.  Flyers  landed and walked among the group, wings tucked or rear-tilted.  Some bore multiple legs and some appeared to crawl atop their own bodily fluids.  Large creatures brought up the rear, giving way for the smaller ones to meander up front.  Gen noticed a disfigured human approaching.  Suddenly, the human seemed to change shape, becoming somehow, more pleasing.

“Nice.” said Auria.  “We're not alone here.”

Gen growled.  “I don't like it.”

“What's not to like?”

“The last time I saw so many aliens, they didn't know what hit em."

“Are you saying you may have a problem being here?”

“No.” Gen laughed.  “They do.”

The human stepped in front of Auria, took her hand and kissed it.  She curtsied.  Gen reached slowly for the man's hand and pushed it away from hers.  The man casually raised it again and offered an open hand to Gen.  Sot reached long, bony fingers into the man's and shook it in his stead.  Gen wrapped an arm around Auria's shoulders, pretending not to care, yet holding the young woman as a gesture.

“I... am your liaison, Aelion.” he spoke softly, very low-tonal.  Aelion's blond hair swept across his forehead, hanging below eyes in tufts of broken, single hairs.  His features were otherwise flawless, leaving not one scar across a jutting jaw-line and light blue eyes.

“Gen.  Maybe you've heard of me.”  Gen puffed his chest and tensed, one hand clinched at the waist.

“Not now.” Auria whispered.  “Pleased to meet you.  I'm Auria.  This is Gen.” she placed a hand against his stomach and pushed, trying to stage the old man behind her.  “And, this is 238.  This is Sot and his son?  Loof."

Loof climbed 238's back and wrapped arms around his neck.  “I prefer Sot's offspring.” said Loof.  “I'm non-gender.” it winked.

“If I may, I would like to accompany you on a tour of the facilities.” said Aelion.  “How well is your knowledge of alien anatomy?”

The crowd had grown so large, it covered everywhere they looked with staring heads, snorkels and eye-stalks, multiple eyes and multiple heads, gelatinous goops and megalithic monstrosities.

“I've killed many like these.” said a snarling Gen.

“I said, not now.” Auria remarked, pushing him aside again.

Gen whispered into 238's ear.  “I don't like this guy.”

Aelion led the team into a glass-covered, domed building.  Inside, the crew saw flowering plants growing from the ground and terraced about the room.  Every color imaginable filled the halls with vibrant smells.  One could almost taste the air.  Gen seemed unimpressed - a worried look on his face.  When Aelion looked away, he picked a flower stem and chewed between teeth.  The flower disintegrated, only to reappear where he'd snatched it, growing downward from a hanging planter - among many others of its own shape and variety.

“This is where we come to ask questions.” said Aelion.  “This system offers privacy and piece of mind.  There are many rooms such as this, allowing for many at once to use our facilities.  Think of a question.”

“Why are we here?” said Gen.

“You are safe and sound within our wondrous paradise,” said a female voice, “feel free to join the others to chat.  Enjoy your new home, where you can do anything your heart desires.”

“You didn't answer my question.” said Gen.  “Why are we here?”

“You are here because the Maker has given you the greatest gift.” said Aelion.

“What's that?” asked Gen, amid playing touch-and-go with Auria.

“The gifts of peace, love, prosperity and eternal youth.”

“At what price?”

“The only drawback to eternal youth is the discontinuance of parental lineage, not until the Maker has decided.”

“What the hell does that mean?”

“No children.” said Sot.

“I have enough of those already.” said Gen, looking to 238 as Loof picked through 238's messed-up hair.  Its tail tickled his nose until he sneezed, blowing snot into a hand and wiping upside his pants.

Auria spoke.  “Why, no children?”

“Because the Maker deems it unwise to colonize our temporary home.”

“Just, how damned long have you lived here?” asked Gen.

Aelion thought for a second.  “I'm not able to answer that question with an exact count.” he added.  “But, I have been alive and well for the better part of a millennium.”

“Is that days or years?” snarked Gen.  “Dog years, maybe?”

“Over one thousand years.”

“Have you learned anything in a thousand years?” asked Gen.

“Much.”

“Wanna go a round with me?”

“Gen...”  Auria grabbed him around the chest and pushed Gen into a corner.  “Don't be so rude.  What's wrong with you?  We're guests.  Treat him with some respect.”

Gen stared deeply, then replied.  “Like they treated me on Sora?”

“This isn't Sora.”

“Same look.  Same feel.”

“Same Gen.” she remarked.  “Let it go...  Silence your heart and listen for a change.”

“Maybe.  I'll do it if you trust me.  Just... promise to trust me.”

“I do.  You're like me.  Aelion is like us, too.  Trust him.”

“No.  I don't trust that guy.  I bet he's not even human.  Watch this.”  Gen walked forward and interrupted.  “Pardon me.  You're not human, are you?”

Aelion swept hair from his face and sighed.  “Actually... No.  I'm a latent telepath, a poly-morphic being from the planet Regia.  I've...”

“That's great.”  Gen turned to Auria.  “Thanks.”

“And, I've heard everything you've said,” said Aelion, “because I'm telepathic.”

“That's fine.” said Gen with a hand behind his back halting Aelion's words.  "I'll stop whispering now, so you can get a clear picture of how I feel.”

Auria placed hands atop Gen's shoulders, shushing.

“Feel free to ask me any question,” said Aelion, “regardless of personal feelings.”

“Computer.” said Gen.  “Is the little guy who brought us here the one they call the Maker?”

“I cannot answer that question at this time.” said the female voice.

“Then, you're as stupid as Aesop here.” growled Gen.

“Aelion.”

“Silly.” growled Gen.  “Thousand-year-old hippie.”

Frustrated, Auria walked into another room, noticing the most beautiful flower she'd ever seen.  The light shown perfectly across its purple and blue leaves - white and red flowers, long lips of hanging petals sang a sweet song in her mind.  She walked closer to inspect, especially wanting to smell and taste the drooping tips of white lace hanging low and oozing nectar.

A creature barked repeatedly.  She turned, seeing Gen behind her, then turned back.  A soft nose struck the hard, glass shell.  Inside, a green set of angry lips stared, growling and showing white-tipped teeth soaked in red.  The flower had been no flower, but a vicious, fast-moving plant tempting her; if not for thick glass - to perform devilishly, unimaginable deeds.  It smacked the glass, smearing itself, hissed and rattled from a nest of creeping vines crawling along the glass walls.

“Nothing here is as it appears.” said Gen.
© Copyright 2016 RodneyGray (UN: rodneygray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RodneyGray has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875612-Chapter-26---Far-From-Home