*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876015-Positive-about-Writing
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#876015 added March 7, 2016 at 6:17pm
Restrictions: None
Positive about Writing
Prompt: In what ways are you positive when it comes to your writing, such as your know-how or talent or about expectations from other readers and writers? Is there any room for improvement as to your positive approach to your art?

==================

Before I say anything I should point out that my personal ways are my ways. They should never be a compass for other writers, especially the young ones with years of life ahead of them. Each one of us should find the best way for him or her.

As to my writing, it took me a while to come to where I am. At this point, as those of you who read my blog may well know, I neither care for approval nor achieving the kind of accomplishment others have labeled as perfect.

It is true that my background and/or education has insisted that I stretch beyond my best and always seek and strive for perfection. What they didn’t take into account has been how much that striving hurts the creative process.

And what is wrong with good or perfect? Perfection as to the ideas of good writing can and do change with time. Can something that changes be called perfect? Because I am old, I have seen those changes. Also because I am nosy, I have written something or other about what the present-day publishers expect from writers. I write such stuff in my reviews and blogs. Case in point: "What Not to Use in Story Openings Now, a few of those things are: opening the story with a dream or an alarm clock buzzing, and the character looking in a mirror to describe his/her physical attributes. Guess what? I started to read a Sydney Sheldon novel, Tell Me Your Dreams. It starts with all of those three things. You may or may not like this author, but he’s made it, at least money-wise. Then, who are we (or the present-day publishers) to say what is good and what is not? For the same reason, I don’t go gaga over a newly written work that critics rave about until I read it myself.

As writers, we all suffer from a deep-seated uncomfortable feeling called doubt. There is no escape from it, even for me, the one who proved to herself that perfection is a myth and the ambition for it only tires a person out and blocks creativity. Yet, doubt happens because seeking for perfection and, through it, approval must be etched in our DNAs.

Most any writing can be clearer, better worded, possibly wittier, and more intelligent. If I would try to make any of my pieces to be like that, I might be successful to some degree, but it would take so much out of me that I would end up swearing off writing. By the way, I suspect some of the writer’s block problems must be arising from that exertion. So far, ever since I’ve stopped wearing that watch of perfection with deadline hands, I also stopped suffering from writer’s block. See, how kind I am to myself?

To me, being good is being courageous and enjoying the writing process. Thus, losing my fears might allow me to realize my potential. Even if not, so what? At least, I am enjoying my time and whatever it is I am writing. If a certain piece of work doesn’t give the expected result, maybe it will lead to something else more interesting.

I do strive to be good when it comes to following the grammar and basic writing rules since those change the least with time. The rest is exploration and personal satisfaction. As simple as that.

Is there room for improvement in my approach to writing? Probably there is. I could possibly take more risks. Yet, since I am doing what I can, to the best of my ability and without letting go of enjoyment, am I not already daring enough? I can't say. That, I think, time will tell.



© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876015-Positive-about-Writing