*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876187-Diapers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#876187 added March 9, 2016 at 11:15pm
Restrictions: None
Diapers
         We have seen diapers evolve over the decades. The big problem with disposables was that they were not bio-degradable and threatened to stay in the landfills forever. I think they've been working on that and are making slow progress. But disposables are so convenient. They fit better, they're easy to clean up after, less laundry, they fit for boys or girls--they do need to be different--they are less bulky now than they used to be, and you don't need rubber pants with them.

         Cloth diapers are reusable, but there's all that detergent and water to clean them, plus your time or the expense of a diaper service. And it takes so many! Did you know that in the first year of a baby's life, over 2000 diapers will be used! And don't forget the wipes. It may take more than one per diaper change, Think of that expense for young parents.

         There are lots of extras that young people think they need, but they really don't. Wipe warmers are for parents with a luxury budget. You can hold the wipe in your hand to warm it up if it's icy. Most babies I have known can tolerate a room temp wipe. Swings that move with a battery or electricity keep the child soothed longer, but he can jump around or fidget to make a swing move, too. Fancy diaper pails are not needed for the baby. They are a plus for the parents who don't want to smell the diapers or empty the pail more often. You don't have to have the most expensive stroller or "travel system", carrier or nursing cover. And diaper bags can run up to $100 for every day brand names. I'd hate to see designer versions.

         Those nice things are okay for people with huge incomes or inheritances. The average young parent, or single mother, can get by with less. And even if they have the money, or Grandma has the money, it might be better saved for piano lessons or college tuition. Expectant parents don't have to buy everything the merchant dangles in front of them. They can be good parents without all that temporary stuff.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876187-Diapers