*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877430-Its-Good-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#877430 added March 25, 2016 at 4:16pm
Restrictions: None
It's Good Friday
         I am sneezing and coughing despite the daily allergy pills. I finally finished transplanting all my sage plants into deeper pots from the single shallow pot. I'll see how big they get with more room for roots to expand. Several of them had to go together because the roots were so entwined I couldn't separate them. Others went willingly into pots where they'd have more room between them.

         I didn't research sage or chives before planting them. The sage will last for years and should get bushy. I didn't know that and was surprised that they survived frost and snow and still smelled great all winter. Chives will last five years. They are prolific.

         You can't cook chives. They are too tender and mild and burn easily. Chives are only for fresh topping, but surplus can be frozen. The blossoms, which are starting to bud on mine, can be used, but who wants to use them? They burn your mouth like a hot onion! I guess you could chop them and use in chili.

         I read that you can use old egg cartons to start seeds. So I tried that today. It makes sense. When they are big enough to transplant, you push up the little cup and pull out the clump. I had a package of mixed herb seeds. It wasn't a good mix--sage, basil, and dill. They are very different plants. A mix like that would be better in the ground than pots. The sage is bigger and will remain. I like basil and dill plants. They get very tall, very fast. I will have to separate them while they are still small. I've been looking for parsley seed, but I haven't been to the right store yet.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877430-Its-Good-Friday