*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878038-Actors-and-Fickle-Fame
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#878038 added April 1, 2016 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
Actors and Fickle Fame
         I was thinking about actors and how some keep getting good roles to play, some go down hill, or get caught in a caricature. They drift away, do minor roles, or fit in narrow categories.

         For example, Sondra Locke showed a lot of promise. She was nominated for an Oscar but didn't get it for The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter. Then she got messed up with Clint Eastwood. My theory is that she went downhill with him. After he kicked her out, he bought up her contract, so that no one would hire her. She never got a decent role again. Wasted potential.

         Bruce Dern did a wonderful job as the lowlife cattle rustler in the John Wayne movie, The Cowboys. According to him, his career went south after that because he had to shoot John Wayne's character in the back. He claimed that he never got a good role again, because the public always saw him as the guy who shot The Duke in the back.

         Doug McClure was handsome, loved by the ladies, played lovable characters, and was a good horseman. After cowboy shows went out of style, he ended up in Sci-Fi movies that didn't quite cut it. I can't blame him for taking a different genre; actors have to eat and take what's available.

         Sometimes It's their own fault. They make unwise investments and lose all their money. Or they try to direct or do something they don't do as well and fail. Or they develop personal problems, like drinking. But most just don't get cast well. They aren't good enough friends with studio execs. Or, females especially, they get too old.

         For some, it works out well, at least in the fame department. Lon Chaney didn't start out playing creepy parts. But how we loved him when he did. Vincent Price played dashing young suitors early in his career. I was shocked to see him play the rich, handsome boyfriend in a very old film. He had that distinctive voice. We remember him for his exquisite horror movie roles, not the romantic roles.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878038-Actors-and-Fickle-Fame