*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878195-When-To-Retire
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#878195 added April 2, 2016 at 11:42pm
Restrictions: None
When To Retire
         It's hard to figure out when to retire. People who do what they love, don't retire. Plenty of rich people work well into their 80's and 90's. They don't need the money, but they can't even think about not working. Some work if they can find the work, actors being such a group. For them, it's the audience, the attention, and the challenge. They aren't ready to give up creativity or love from the public.

         A famous example of one such person who won't retire until he's disabled, and maybe not then, is Terry Bradshaw. He's 70. He's still breeding horses as a business, breeding dogs, doing music, doing commercials for TV and radio, guest speaking, and is available for movies if offered. He's bigger than life and over the top. He just doesn't know how to cut back or slow down. He's an inspiration to many.

         I have a friend who retired early. He's paid off his mortgage, has military retirement, and can wait a few years to collect social security. He doesn't have anything to do except get in his wife's way; she's still working. But he hated his job and felt unappreciated. He can now travel, but he had liberal vacation. If he had a job that was meaningful, where he felt needed and valued, he'd probably still be working.

         Many of us at low level jobs don't have a choice. We work at low level jobs, maybe at low wages, and know we can't go job hunting because it's so hard over 40, and worse after 50. We'll be working until the day we're disabled or dead.

         My dad worked until he was 87. He liked working. He misses it, but his hearing got so bad that he couldn't participate the way he liked. I thought maybe since he was retiring, he'd keep up the garden this year, but he's cutting back. He hasn't even plowed the ground yet. So he's retiring in many ways.

         Unfortunately, it's the people with lousy jobs who end up retiring as soon as possible. If it's rewarding, why quit?

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878195-When-To-Retire